Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best way to lock the hood on a CJ? We popped one of those $20 "hood locks" on my buddies jeep with a screwdriver when he lost the key. There's got to be a more secure way..

G

·
You could weld the sucker shut? Thats a thought.. uhm.. maybe build the hood latch part you push with your hand to be like a quick disconnect. Like take the sucker with you whenever you leave.. They could get those hood latches undone but have some trouble hitting the latch open. Have you tried the Hood Latch Locks? Or the one that Locks the handle?

78 CJ7 "Issues"

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Zimm, thanks for filling out your profile. I had the same experience you did with the in the grill lock. Not only can you defeat it with a screwdriver and it won't show the intrusion, but it gums up with road debris and you Have To jimmy it open with a screwdriver to lift the hood.

I like the Audio Vox Hood Lock, Model number AA-7007-7 "Flex Hood Lock w/Positive Cut Starter Disable" The product is completly concealed under the hood and is a "deadbolt" style lock. It also has a relay activated kill switch to disable the starter (or any other device). All in all it was a good value at $29.95

I purchased mine through JCWhitney.

I believe Quadratec sells them also.

I just noted that Steel horse sells the product, but from the picture it looks like they pulled out the relay:

It's been private labeled. Don't let the name fool you... it really an AudioVox in Steel Horse clothing. You could pay more... check out this "buy" at $17.00 more for the same item:

Go with Real AudioVox product and be done with it...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Aaarrrrggghhhhhh!!!!! Sorry just venting. I had one of those locks you talked about LEVE. All I have to say is be very careful! Often called Chapman locks, I've had mine jam up and break somehow. I couldn't unlock the lock, thus, locking the hood, and disabling the starter. I couldn't even start it. After an hour of frustration, out came the BFH and I beat it into submission. I got the hood unlocked and ripped that sucker right out.

'86 'glass CJ7, 33x12.5 BFG AT's 258, T5, D44

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
I thought about that problem because a deadbolt lock is much harder to defeat. I didn't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere and have the cable gum up...and here's how I solved it:

1. I lube the cable twice a year as preventive measure.
2. I flush, with spray carb cleaner, the working end of the lock works every three months and lube with graphine to make sure it slides nicely.
3. I examine the mating metal to make sure it's not burred whenever I open the hood.
4. I carry wrenches to remove the hood hinges and pretend it's a front tilt hood. Then I can access the hood lock from the inside.

G

·
I attached an eye bolt to the front crossmember type piece that is on the underside of the hood right at the front. I used some locktite and nylon lock nuts to make it real secure. I then drilled an appropriate sized hole on the grill support. When you close the hood the eye bolt comes through. I then reach through the slats and attach a master lock. The only way to defeat this would be to destroy the grill so you can get bolt cutters through the slats to snap the eye bolt.

G

·
Why not do what the hot-rodders do. They've got the pin that sticks thru the hood when it's closed with a small lock thru the pin. They usually put a pin on each side, but a jeep would only need one right in the middle of the hood.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Haven't done this, but couldn't you build a bracket and use a Reese hitch pin lock? They are usually pretty good.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Nenofury, that's a neat trick. Can you take a picture of the installation or make a drawing for us spacialy challanged folk and post it to the Forum... I'd bet you'd see the Master lock sales skyrocket. I like the positives of the idea...it fit's all my critera:

1. Clean,
2. Simple
3. Homade,
4. "Reverse" enginering on all them fancy racing hood locks,
5. It's inexpensive,
6. and I wish it were my idea.

Drawbacks:

1. I'd loose the key.
2. The Lock'd gum or litterly Freeze up in Winsconsin winters.
3. I hate delays when I need to get the hood open... such as there's an engine fire (like that ever happens!).

I hope no one sees the duplicity of my thoughts here... as the AudioVox lock uses a key.

Does anybody want to improve on Nenofury's design? Eliminate the single point of faiure, the lock and use a hidden mechanical actuator? We could call it the New Imporoved Cheaper Nenofury Hood Lock... the NHL for short?

Humm..it's given me a couple of ideas. How about a new way to use that footbrake assembly (or a handbrake assembly) that always freezes up and no one ever uses! Or even removing those fancy gas cap and trunk openers from a car!

Use it to actuate the cable that sets and draws the dead bolt. Run it the cable through the firewall into a hand bent hard brakeline line along the fender liner and into the grill area. If it's done right it'd look factory. Then just enclose the eyebolt in metal rectangle where it's un-observed.

What a Hoot! Set your foot brake lever and it lets the hood open! I may just ditch the AudioVox /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif!

G

·
Neofury,

I too would be intersted in seeing some pictures of your idea and finished product, that sounds like a great solution!

Rawbin /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

1984 CJ-7 304 V8

torx: mistake, or did they do it to us on purpose?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
If you lose keys, just use a combination lock and etch the combination into the underside of your bumper...

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
go to a auto part store and pickup the hood pin type locks....ya know...the kind people use on race cars...the lil cotter/clevis pin (whatever its called) they make em with locking ends.....just dont lose the keys

Jeep'n Greg

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Sweet and simple! Good job!

Down here in FL we don't consider ice very often...

G

·
I could pry that bolt from your hood.. It wouldn't be to hard.. these days your just going to have to have alittle faith not everyone is gonna steal your [censored].. That master-lock idea is great, but what if someone got a pry bar and just pulled that bolt out from the metal?

78 CJ7 "Issues"

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
You could always take a flat piece of steel and brace the hood and bolt the eye bolt through it. That way it will take them theives a little longer so I can pull the slide back on my gun behind them... People just don't like sound of a pistol slideslamming into place or a shotgun getting pumped. Makes bad people kind of nervous, but I don't know why. Not a very practical home defence weapon, but the SKS rifles make a great sound when the bolt slams back into place. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif well I guess now I have to go target shooting today, I am getting a little exited.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

1 - 20 of 29 Posts