Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put in my new ring and pinions and the back seems to be broken in pretty well. I s the only way to break in the front to drive on the front wheels? If I think logically, I would say this is the case, but I know that the more I learn the more there is to learn, and it is conceivable and more than probable that there is something I am not thinking of.

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
I broke mine in just driving while breaking in the rears.

('Course I have a quadratrac and can do that on the street, ha.)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
When you break in a new gears set you should do it on jack stands. We run are for just about 30 seconds the first time. That slings the oil everywhere, then while the oil is dripping back down it is getting the the places that didnt see oil yet. After about 5 mins or a beer we fire it off again, just let it idle in gear for about 10 mins. During those 10 mins keep feeling the pinion for heat. It shouldnt get to the point where you cant touch it. When then let it sit till the pinion cools down. Once the pinion is cool we then go another 10 mins. This time changing rpms and appling the brake once and awhile to apply some force to the gears. Once the 10 mins are done lower it down and go for a ride. So how do you break in the front. Just put the shifter in 4 high, the tires will be off of the ground.

Just a thought, dont use your big swampers. You will know real quick how unbalanced they are.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Just lock in one hub a day for a week...left on on Monday...right on Tues...etc. That is, if you have a short daily drive...if not, do as already mentioned...jackstands and beer!

G

·
When they are new from the factory how are they broken in? I can't think of anyone I know who has done anything special for their axles as part of new car breakin. When I replaced my R&P gears I drove 'em easy for 500 miles, changed the oil, and it was a done deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.