Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a set of BFG MT-KM, Goodyear MT/R or Yakohoma Geolander MT (maybe 36" TSL radials also, but they are alot more). Which tire would be best? I've got a Ford 9" with a spool and was wondering wich tire will hold up the best. I live in Missouri with a lot of mud and some rocks. I know the BFG is a really good tire, but I want some other opinions. These are going on my CJ.

'90 XJ - stock
'78 CJ-7
401\TH400\Dana 20
Revolvers, 3" Body lift, 4" Springs, 33's

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
(You have too many "http"'s in your profile link to your homepage.)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Super Swampers are the best for mud. BFGoodrich is not as good in mud. I would buy the Super Swamper if you don't put a lot of miles on black top.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
BFG are not the best in the mud by a long shot. They are a design compromise to allow for a quiet, streetable, long lasting mud terrain. They are better than all terrains or other tires, but as far as mud tires go, they are down on the list, unless you want more from them than just optimal performance in the mud. Think swamper bogger, tsl or buckshot mudders if you really want a mud tire. Not enough void in the tread on bfg m/t's in my opinion, but they do beat the hell out of my old all terrains. If you want tires that are dual purpose and see a lot of street use, then the tires you listed are good choices.

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I really need to know is will they hold up to a spool?

'90 XJ - stock
'78 CJ-7: 401\TH400\Dana 20
Revolvers, 3" Body lift, 4" Springs, 33's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spools will cause accelerated tire wear with any tire...even if you ran no tires and steel wheels. That's a fact of life. Out of the three, I'd say the BFGs would have the longest life. The Yokos would come a close second. The GYs a close third. Traction wise...in mud, it is pretty close between the BFGs and GYs. The Yokos come in clearly third. Traction elsewhere...snow, wet roads, etc...the GYs come in first, the BFGs a slightly distant second, the Yokos third. Rocks...Haven't observed enough of the three to make an educated statement. I run BFG MTs in 33". They work very well and I'm quite pleased with them. From my observations selling tires, I'd say with confidence that they will last longer than the other two, and would be slightly more durable behind a spool. That said, if I were buying tires right now for my jeep, I'd get a set of 35" swamper SXs, so I'd have an excuse to swap out my front D30. But from the choices you gave, and if it were my daily driver, I'd get the Goodyear MT/Rs. DO NOT GET CONFUSED AND GET THE OLD GOODYEAR MTs. They blow (no offense intended to their proponents). The durability difference is not enough to offset their superior traction, IMHO--Not that the BFG isn't a quality tire. You will note that I am leaving the Yoko out of the picture altogether. I wouldn't even consider it. Yokohama has excellent quality control, and the tires are produced wonderfully, and look quite aggressive, but traction wise, they just aren't quite there. They work quite well in deep snow off-road, and I've read that they work pretty decent in sand (haven't seen that myself, again), but having sold and seen a few sets, I wouldn't get them myself.

My $.02 FWIW

I Jeep, therefore I am.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.