Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching through various old post for about two months and I'm trying to find the best shock set up for what I have now. The only measurement I took was in a parking lot sitting level. The sucko 5000 I have I hate.
Anyhow while sitting level my front measures (from center of bottom shock hole on the radius arm to where it contacts the spring tower) 14 1/2", this includes the bushing at the tower. So... I was looking for a shock that is around 10"compressed, and 18" fully extended. The rear measures 19 1/2" so I'm looking at 15" compressed and 24" fully extended. Of course I would like the most travel but with a 2" lift there aren't many options! I measured my bumpstops on front from bottom of stop to radius arm it's 2 5/8". Correct me if I'm wrong but, does that mean that I can only flex UP 2 5/8"-3". So actually if I get front shocks that are 10.5" compressed the suspension will not flex that much going UP! I want to get the most flex for my $$$ and I want to do it right the first time. Monroe site offers the most info and cheapest but good product. I've also talked to quite a few off-road Ford owners who run monroe and they are pleased with them.I do not dave dual shocks. Any suggestion or comments are welcome. BTW- adding more lift at this time is not an option

· Registered
3,982 Posts
I think removing the bumpstops will give you a little more squish. Your flex will improve dramatically with the swaybar off too. Monroes are the same as Rancho I've heard (same company) and you've allready said you don't like the 5000s. I'm not sure which brand I'll use yet personally. I'd like to get billsteins. I've heard they are great but they are spendy. I wish I knew more about this. Take Care. NORM

· Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blistens don't have anything in my whimpy 2' lift. I'd have to go with stock or the 4"-6" lift ones
. I can't seem to find any other manufacturer that has spec sheets for all of their products. I know that Rancho and Monroe are made by the same manufacturer but, I'm sure there's a difference between the 5000's and the magnums, reflexes, sensa tracks. I drive mostly on the blacktop and those 5000's suck on the hard stuff but in the dirt I have no complaints. I bought before I thought on those and now I'm kicking myself in the a$$. -Bob

· Registered
2,338 Posts
Then why not just move the lower shock mounts on the rear axle up 2", and run stock length shocks? That way youd have a much wider slection of shocks to choose from, and at the same time, youd be removing something that youll only drag offroad anyway.

· Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a good assortment for the rear shocks, but the front one's are very limited! I can get 11" of travel for the rear but only barely six or so for the front. I would like to move the front mount but there is no place to move it to.-Bob

· Registered
3,041 Posts
you can move anything if you try hard enough.
you may have to do sever customizing on your coil buckets and run f350 brackets.

· Registered
3,982 Posts

I was thinking the same thing.
Just go with stock replacement for now. You said that most of your driving is blacktop oriented and for that you don't need all the travel you are talking about. When I was at stock height I added extra spacers above and under the shock to I could get a little more travel. As noted there's not a whole lotta squish going on with TTB, especially with the bumpstops.

· Registered
631 Posts
On my ranger I lowered the bottom shock mount on the rad arm with a home made thing
and used a 4"shock, but I dont thik you could do it on the full size
, the shock mounts differently. Maybe you could get one of theose double shock hoop things so you could run a longer shock, and get more travel and use a 4" shock.

I would def remove the swaybar too, I did on my little truck and got much more flex. I have 2" ft springs, and flexing I can put the ttb onto the bumptop. with the stck springs and swaybar flexing I couldnt hit the bumpstops

· Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like that idea. Everything clears the new mounts? Seems like it would stick out too much.

Already tried the sway bar removal, yes more flex, the Handling suffers sooo much. I remove them when it time to play. I'm trying for that perfect on/off-road set-up. I really don't think there is a happy medium for me! Boy would the powerball be nice!!!!!!!
I could live my dream....
two Fords, one for pull one for play!-Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.