Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have built a swingout tire carrier and I need to know from people with experience what the best latch to use is. I have been looking at a clamping latch which is what the Bulletproof and the 4wd hardware tire carriers use.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif We will be using a clamping setup on ours because that way the rack loads both sides and both attachments for more strength and less vibration. We will be using a cam-type clamp with a safety pin./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used an I-bolt with a pin on mine. 2 tabs with holes lined up with I-bolt through hole and pin through I-bolt. Also distributes the weight. Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Marc.....I couldn't find anything suitable either....we are making one from scratch...using an offset circle as a cam which sucks the moveable part tight against the upright. Our setup is still not done, but it is a JCWhitney dual can rack; highly modified; for a heavier tire, and set up with 2" X 2" risers welded into a 3" X 4" rect. tube bumper./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found that latch at Grainger. www.grainger.com I think I may design my own though because they are out of stock for awhile. I may use the hitch pin idea but I don't like it much.
Aaron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about welding a nut into the bumper, drilling a hole through the carrier, welding a sleeve into the hole in the carrier to keep water out, and using a large bolt with a wing nut type handle on it? Anyone have any better ideas? I want something low profile that doesn't hang down onto the face of the bumper but also holds it very tightly.
Thanks,
Aaron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On a past post, someone suggested (www.sleeoffroad.com ,then to Jeep section) They have good pictures and it is a sharp carrier. i am going to use several ideas for mine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's cool. I made my hinge the exact same way except mine is larger. That's the kind of latch I want but I can't find one locally. I am just going to make a latch like that.
Aaron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The latch used by the top manufacturers is made by http://www.destaco.com.

The post mentioned above regarding sleeoffroad is one to look at. Christo has some excellent ideas and his hinge mechanism is of high quality.

If anybody needs the part number for the destaco latch email me and I'll dig it up.

Regards,

Larry 85CJ7, 350TBI ,T19 4spd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.