Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you find inexpensive back up lights? The only ones I have seen at local parts stores are driving or fog lights with a flat beam. I am fine with the platsic housing cheapies, but don't know where to find them. I need something small, I can't fit a full size off road light.

Thanks!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Where are you putting them?

Matt

"Jeeps never die, they just fall apart"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the big box style tail lights that stick out (83' cj5). I was going to mount the back up lights just inside of those. Maybe even mount them to the plastic taillight housing. So if I mount rectangular ones, they would be in the verticle position. does that make any since? Any how... I have a big swingaway bumper w/ gas can & high lift, and all that takes up a bunch of space. So this seems to be the only good spot to mount them. I have seen some plastic cheep looking flood lights mounted on big shipping trucks & fork lifts, but I don't know where to find them.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif We are using some tractor lamps for our CJ on the custom rear bumper. A few years ago I found some tractor lamps with totally rubber housings with semi-recessed lenses which were really nice. We used them on our big well rigs and never had a single problem with breakage due to the tough rubber housings./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif, buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you buy some 100 watt hella's, and mount them on your bumper.. How's that for back up power

It can't be done? HA, they MUST be crazy...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For backup lights, my best recommendation is go as cheap as you can, my brother has gone thru 4 sets on his jeep. I havent put any on mine yet, when i do my flush tail lights i am going to though. Just go to pep boys or something, they have cheap ones.

'85 Scrambler

·
Registered
543 Posts
most any truck stop will sell the rubber housed lights. you can get them from any truck ot trailer repair shop or parts house.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
This is not my vehicle but I have these lights mounted under my jeep for night rides. They were $10 each at Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Those look very similar to the rubber-encased ones we bought several years ago at NAPA. That's a good price and a good setup./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif, buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used the halogen lights with the rubber housing, I still have the stock tire carrier so I drilled through it to the right and left of the spare, mounted the lights (used longer bolts than what came with the lights) Ran a wire for juice, also wire brushed the hinge assembly to make sure they got a good ground...seem to work fine and they are up and out of the way.

Red 7 in the Green Mountain State
84 CJ7 / 258 / weber

torx: the root of all evil.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I will state this caution without the schematics in front of me. Beware with high wattage lights for reverse lights. I do not believe these lights go through a relay, therefore, the contacts for the reverse lights break the current. The contacts may not be rated for the current required for the high wattage lights and I would hate to be replacing the switch very often. A relay may be needed to properly do this. I ran 55 watt bulbs in place of my normal bulbs. I didn't have any problems with this setup.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Farmall Guy has it for you with the halogen lamps. Two points to go back over that were mentioned.......the switch on the tranny is not big enough for the HUGE lamps that some of us run, so what we do is feed a relay with the backup lamp switch, and the relay pulls in the big master blasters. The second point is that we usually dismantle the lamps and run a ground wire into the case and tie it to the (-) screw on the back of the sealed beam. That gives us a SUPER setup and we can leave them loose enough to tweak around if we need to see sumpin' a little off to the side./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts