Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to remove a t18/d20 combo from a 75 waggin ear, and have gotten everything off but the crossmember and gearboxes. I'm having a hard time accessing the bolts holding the bellhousing adapter(5"long!) to the tranny. On the passenger side, part of the shift linkage is blocking, on the left side theres very little body clearance(I can fix that though ;)). Is it necessary to remove the t-case linkage to get to the bolts? and if so, how do I do that? Actually, this is starting to get kind of difficult, as this is my first transmission removal/clutch job, and I'm working in conditions that would make even H8 monday want to give up(90 degrees, high humidity, dirt/gravel, no roof, rain... ground is bumpy, some access to airtools-whoohoo!, and trees so close to the waggie that I have a hard time opening the doors-the ones that open that is). I'm starting to see the virtues of having a busted out windshield, as I've lowered a cable through the gaping hole in order to lower the gearboxes. Did I mention I dont have a transmissions jack? Anyhow, I can't center the cable over the tranny and its looking near impossible to slide an input shaft out of the bellhousing that makes pinnochios nose look small(11+ inches?) So my next question is, either how can I slide back the combo and free the shaft, or how do I take things apart one piece at a time so its not so heavy? And by the way, just how much does this thing weigh???? I doubt I'm strong enough to benchpress such a big chunk of iron. Yeah, I know its a full size jeep, but I bet more of you have taken these things out of big jeeps than the guys at the full size board(I'm not knockin them, theres just more of you here ;)). If I'm not making any sense its from breathing all those fumes from that leaky gas tank....

and yes, I did read the manual.
Thanks!!!
Andy

46cj2a beater and pile 0 parts.
75 cherokee parts pile

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'll probly do that... it might help to drain the fluid either way, itd be a little bit lighter ;).

H8, I'm not ratting on you by the way, I said that out of respect for your ability to build an 'industrial jeep' in a parking lot.

Andy

75 cherokee parts pile

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhh now I see.... I had to read that one a few times, now most of it makes sense. hehe, you mentioned the clutch fork, lets just say its COMPLETELY in the bellhousing... long story. Anyhow, this should really help getting it out. Only problem is, I am getting a little confused about whether to unbolt the transmission from the bellhousing or the bellhousing from the engine block. Of course the manual says.... to unbolt the tranny from the 'clutch housing'. I dont know much about how things work in clutch, so why is it easier to do this way? I've had a hard time finding a manual that shows a clear picture of the clutch components and how they interact with the flywheel and transmission. Maybe I'm not qualified to do clutch work, but I'd like to be some day....

75 cherokee parts pile

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may have to pull the bellhousing too... either way I havent had time to touch it again since Tuesday, but I did get the cable and threaded rod ; )

And Leve, I've been accused of being a monkey, but this definitely aint my daddy's jeep. It took nearly two years to talk him into allowing it on the property, until then it sat at my brother's boss's house. I paid 300 for the waggie and it looks like its been rolled down a hill... On the other hand, look at the drivetrain. It'll make a nice work truck if I can put a pickup cab on it and a flatbed. I'm not sure what all work I'll do to it, at the very least the clutch components, maybe resurfacing the flywheel. I'd like to rebuild the gearboxes but that's a major undertaking(for me at least) and I want to get this thing back together before I forget how it came apart ; )

Thanks again,
Andy

75 cherokee parts pile

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.