Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just replaced the timing belt in my 95 XE-V6 KC 4x4 and I am having some problems putting the belts back on(compressor, alt., and pwr. steering). Anyone with experience have any tricks of the trade to help? And by the way, if anyone out there is thinking about changing their timing belt themselves and saving about $300. DO IT. It isn't that bad if you have the time. The worst part was getting the crankshaft pulley off. After I borrowed an impact wrench even that was easy. Occasionally you need an extra pair of hands when you put the new belt on, but unless mine crashes upon ignition it has been relatively painless. Although I have an engineering degree, I am far from an experienced mechanic. This was my first serious venture into the engine compartment. Any info. would be appreciated.

sb

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Scott,
I replaced the belt on my 87 300z this spring and will do the same for my 874x4. Did you use Nissan parts?
I used jobber parts for everything but the belt tensioner. Can you get that aftermarket as well its $88 canadian at nissan.
Your right its not to bad a of a job. and you save lots of $$$$$$$$$$. Vince.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I used a nissan timing belt. I did not replace the tensioner. However, my nissan dealer here was very competitive on the price of all the parts that I quoted. They were a little higher on the pulley belts that I replaced so I tried Kelly Springfield belts from AutoZone. I'll let you know how they turn out. The timing belt and other parts I took out were pristine so I didn't worry too much about the tensioner. Maybe at the 120K mi. mark I'll do it too. Try Brown & Brown nissan or look in the back of a car & driver magazine and you'll find several ads for nissan parts. I think the tensioner was somewhere around $70 about everywhere I checked. Good luck and see ya later. By the way, I took my radiator out to do it but if you can work in a space that is a little tight you can save some time by leaving it on and you won't have to drain coolant either.

sb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts