Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start, yes I will eventually upgrade to PS on my daily driver; never on the restoration project and yes I've searched through the previous posts. I've already started collecting the parts for the conversion; but the wander around the road routine is getting a little tired. And sorry to say, since all I do is work on my own vehicles, I don't have a strong relationship with the parts stores, as a result I like to go in with as much information as possible. I get much better results when I tell the parts guys something like "I need the distributor cap for a '75 Buick Apollo with a 231 V6" (or better yet "Standard DR-447") than to tell them "I need a distributor cap for an odd-fire Buick V6 with HEI." So . . . .

Does anyone have a part number for a bell crank kit or know which model, make & year of other vehicle uses the same kit? I would assume that it would be the same as the same year CJ; but I'd prefer to limit the number of trips to the parts store.

Cheers

Mike

67 Jeepster Convertable (to restore)
68 Jeepster Convertable (for fun)
225 / Turbo 400 - both

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
JC Whitney lists a bell crank repair kit. Check the Jeep section under front end and steering parts.

You need to know the diameter of the bell crank shaft, either 7/8" or 1 1/8"

Part number for the 7/8" kit: 85DY5175T

Part number for the 1 1/8" kit : 85DY5176A

Those part numbers vary in each catalog, but you can use them to search the web site:

http://www.jcwhitney.com

http://homepage.mac.com/leetidwell

·
Registered
843 Posts
Mail order is your best bet. I got mine from Turner 4WD. You just need to know the shaft diameter. I got the repair kit and a new bellcrank since the ball end had worn a flat. The repair kit was fine. However, BEWARE, the quality of the bellcrank was terrible. It was rusty and the mating surfaces were not properly dressed. It wouldn't work as-is without binding and I didn't feel like spending even more to have a machine shop fix it. I ditched the whole thing and converted to power steering as a result.

'66 Jeepster Commando - 4.1L V6, TH400, 4" lift
'96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'75 Yamaha DT400B

1 - 3 of 3 Posts