Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very interested in running beadlocks and have heard of Champion beadlocks. Anybody else run beadlocks? Which brand would you recommend?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There are several different companies that make bead-lock wheels. I am running MRT (Marsh Racing) bead-locks on my CJ and I really do like them. Also, Fast Wheels in Tulsa Okla make bead-locks and seem to be well made, several of my friends have had them made and like the way they hold up to the rocks.
You really need to check around on the prices since they can quit different from one place to the next. You can actually buy direct from M.R.T. and Fastwheels which cuts out the middle man and drops the cost of the wheels.

Peanut

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a set of 4 bead locked wheels from Champion. I have been real happy with them. I run them down to 5 PSI with my BFG's and they still stay on. I got mine direct for about $830 for the set.

Chris Geiger
ORC Toyota Section http://www.off-road.com/toyota

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you had any problems with air leaks with the bead locks? Are beadlocks safe to use on the street?
Aaron.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A fellow club member runs MRT beadlocks and they do lose air, but wery slowly. I have heard that beadlocks are illegal for the street
in California, but I'm not positive on that.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anybody seen the article on do-it-yourself beadlocks? I think it was in JP magazine. You can get the rings and have somebody weld them on for the price of one beadlocked wheel. You just need to have aluminum wheels to put them on. If I go with beadlocks, I will probably do it that way.

Cut to shape, hammer to fit, paint to match /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
Project '51 willy's total rebuild /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I run BFG 33x12.50 Mud-Terrains on 15x8.5 Champion Aluminum beadlock rims. My rims look like Outlaw II's... Anyway, I really like them, although it takes forever to tighten the ring down - you have to do the whole pattern like 5 times. I run virtually no air - often it will barely even register on the gauge, and I love it. Just be careful, something that would have maybe spun the tire on the rim before will now snap the axle or driveshaft...

I don't notice any air loss at all on the street. I think the Champions have more bolts on the ring, so maybe that helps. I bought mine used for $200 for the set. The offset is not quite right - I'd like them to be out about 3/4 to 1 inch, but I live with it and I like a narrow track anyway. Over time, the bolts that hold the ring will get all chewed up on the heads by rocks (and my rims are only 8.5 so they are in behing the sidewall pretty far), but that doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

One of the greatest advantages I've noticed is that it keeps wood and bark and mud out of the rim, and this had been a big problem for me - that caused alot of leaks and was just a pain after every trip.

Also, something (rock or root) that may have pryed the tire off the rim before will now rip the sidewall - this has happened twice :-(, but that's the name of the game...

Chuck Hadley

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.