Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i think im gonna change out my battery cable as i think it might be causing some problems. Sometimes it just seems like its not getting all the juice it should from the battery. Anyways.. i called the local parts store and they didn't have anything for it, said they could probalby match it if i bring it up. I want something heavy duty though, i don't want to replace it with some thing thats gonna fail again, and i really don't want to make the cable myself, perfer to buy one already made that looks good too. Mine has the main wire that goes to the starter and another one that runs up to the fire wall. Does anyone know where i can get some heavy duty battery cables from? Thanks for any help on this.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Re: Battery Cable Upgrade??

Make sure you buy a top-post setup, or you run the risk of it failing again. I got a two-gauge wire that I ran from the top of the battery to the starter, just like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2449717892&category=33574

The other wire going to your battery is the wire that runs to the junction block. This wire distributes power to every part of the vehicle. I ran another two-gauge wire for that, and it has eyeholes on each end, kinda like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2449861428&category=33574

Brandon

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

So basically you have 2 separate wires one for the starter and one for the junction box? I was thinking of trying to find one termainal that has 2 leads coming off it, but if i can just run 2 seperate ones then i'll do that...

·
Registered
402 Posts

Yes, I had a separate wire for the starter and junction block. This did fix the starter problems I was having. Here is a picture of the terminal with multiple leads coming off of it:

Brandon

·
Registered
402 Posts

Well,

Before I sold the truck
, I didn't have anything connected to it. That was an older pic, when the side post still powered the starter. I feel the whole side-post setup is a bad idea, because of the corrosion problems, and the fact that they are a pain in the ass to jump-start. Despite this, GM continues to use this setup on all of their vehicles. Good luck with the setup, and let me know if you have any more questions.

Brandon

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Battery Cable Upgrade?? UPDATE!

So what do i do about upgrading that wire from the alt to the fuse block? Do i need to have one made with that link on it or what? And what size wire would be best? Its a 140 Amp Alt... Thanks

·
Registered
402 Posts
Re: Battery Cable Upgrade?? UPDATE!

A fusible like is a piece of cable that is designed to melt apart when a short or extremely large current draw occurs. When I redid the wiring from the alternator, I didn't bother to install a fusible link, as I am not a big fan of them to begin with. I just ran some two gauge wire from the alternator to the junction block, and still managed to fit it in the factory wiring loom.

Brandon

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Make your own.

I usually buy a 72" 2 gauge cable from the department store for $6. Usually both ends have eyes on them. I sometimes keep them, sometimes don't. Buy another end. GM's sidepost works for them so it's good enough for me. The key is to keep the corrosion away and to make sure that there is good contact. For the eyed end just buy some copper pipe that fits over the copper conductor. Crush part and drill it out. Then drill a little hole in the uncrushed part. This will be used to fill the end with solder.

Stick the wire in the connectors and crimp them with crimpers if you have access or use a punch. Use a propane torch and 60/40 solder to fill the connectors with solder.

If you're a shrinktube kind of man, use shrinktube of course. If tape works for you then use tape.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
In reply to:

For the eyed end just buy some copper pipe that fits over the copper conductor. Crush part and drill it out. Then drill a little hole in the uncrushed part. This will be used to fill the end with solder.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, someone else actually still does that besides me??? Code inspectors love it

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Will 4 gauge wire be ok for me to run from the alt to the battery considering the amperage from the alternator? Will the negative wires be ok as well? I believe the negative wire are 4 gauge as well. Just doing some last minute questions before i get home from florida so i can then get what i need to do this.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.