Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finially ordered an ARB Bull Bar and a Warn XD 9000 winch and it should all be here in 6-8 weeks. I can't wait! I'm planning on putting in either an Optima Red Top or Yellow Top (advice on which would be appretiated) and I was wondering if the stock alternator would be any where close to handling it (I doubt it). I've also got a CB and two amps for my stereo. Ones rated at 270 Watts, the other at 200 Watts. I'm also planning on installing some off-road lights. In short I'm adding a lot of electrical equipment and am curious as to what battery to install and where I can get a high output alternator to charge it. Thanks for any help you can give me.

'95 Pathfinder SE-V6

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just wondering, do you have a body-lift on your rig by any chance? If so make sure you go to a good shop when you have to raise the Bull Bar to fit the mounts etc. I had mine done twice because the guy's that did it a first about 4 or 5 years ago just did a butcher-job, so just a helpful hint for ya. Have you checked out any Alternator shops in your area, they should have something for you, and you might also consider if you haven't already is changing the stock battery cable connectors to a more heavy-duty connector for the amount of volume in accessories you'll be mounting on it?

Just my 2 cents!

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifIf you can't Drive It, Drag It?/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i don't have a body lift (yet). i'm trying to stay away from one for as long as i can. there seems to be to many things i don't want to deal with involved like extending shift linkages and modifing the radiator shroud. i know that that sounds lame but what can i say! i hadn't thought about the battery cables and connectors but makes sense. thanks for the help!

'95 Pathfinder SE-V6

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Automotive Customizers sells two different high output alternators for Nissan's. I think they are rated at 160 and the other for 120.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last time I talked to automotive customizers, the alternators werent available. Whoever they got them from bailed on them. At the time, they were looking for a nwe source. Ive got the same setup, warn xd9000i winch, 2 stereo amps, and 10 aux lights aiming every-which-way. Im running an optima redtop, with the stock atlternator. What I have done is put a switch on my turn on lead for the amps, and turn them off when I'm using my lights. When winching, turn EVERYTHING off. tereo, headlights, ac, etc etc. Anything that draws current, switch it off if you can. The warn drags some amps, but is well worth the investment. Im looking into a new alternator, or having mine rebuilt to put out some more power. Local shops can do this for a fairly reasonable price (ive heard somewhere around 115-on up, depends on where you get it done, and what you do). Ive had the winch for a number of years, and the stock alternator has held up very well. Hope this helps, if you have any other questions, let me know.

Happy Trails
Wade Colvard
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are doing a one battery set up I would definelty use the red top. If using a two battery/isolator setup use a red top for starting and a blue top for accessories. You can beat a blue top for accesories, the last a long time. Occasionally I use an interstate deep cycle in my house to run a sub for a party, I can push it pretty well for 6 hours or so without a charger on it. deep cycle are definelty the way to go for accessories. But a big alternator and red top would work too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts