Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '70 CJ5...I need a new radiator becuase the one that was put into mine with the CHevy 4.3L V6 is inadequete...I called Mepco to talk to them about getting a radiator and they said they started at '72...Now according to my Haynes manual the CJ5 didn't change in overall length at all from 1954-1983 but the wheel base did change in 1973...Does this mean that I can go ahead and get a raditor for a 72' and it should fit in just fine???...

Josh Lavalleur
'70 CJ5 4.3L V6
D27 & D44 axles
T-14 3-speed, D18 XC, Warn OD

G

·
Mepco is correct. '71 was the last year of the short-fenders and the Buick V-6's. '72 is the first year of
the long fender's. Simple solution would be to put in a '72 or newer grill that will accept the conversion
radiator. The '71 and older grill has a longer shroud that would have to be cut (if it already isn't), and
new radiator mounts fabbed. Good luck. Nickmil.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that sounds simple enough...I had noticed that the shroud on mine is really long...Just to clarify a 1972 or later grill would take the place of a 70 grill fairly easy then...That would probably give the then length in the engine compartment to do a 350 in the future as well eh???...Good Good Good...

Josh Lavalleur
'70 CJ5 4.3L V6
D27 & D44 axles
T-14 3-speed, D18 XC, Warn OD

G

·
That is correct. The '72 grill bolts right up to the fenders/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif but you may have to modify the crossmember
mount /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif but should be easy /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif. The radiator mounts of the later grill move the radiator forward
towards the front. You will have to do some measuring to see if it will allow a small block because it
will depend a lot on how everything is positioned now and most likely will have to use a short water pump.
You will also have to use the smallest distributor you can find or cut the firewall. That is why in '72
they lengthened the nose, to fit the inline 6 and v-8's. Good luck. If you have any more questions feel
free to e-mail me. Nickmil.

One other thing I just thought of. The radiator hangs down lower on the '72 and newer grill. The front
crossmember may have to be modified to fit the radiator.[frustrated] Good luck. Nickmil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.