Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to do some major work to the front end of my 83 CJ7. I was wondering how hard it would be to install new ball joints, new axle u joints, and whatever bearings/seals I would need. Also how do you know if the ball joints are bad? I am just assuming they are given the fact that everything else on this Jeep was.
Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
u can tell if the u joints are bad if u jack up one side, and let the tire not hit the ground, then push the top of the tire towards the frame, they should be no play, (note they are two ball joints upper and lower) and to see the lower ones u might have to pry a bar against the outer knuckle and push away from the jeep if there is play it needs to be replaced, if one needs one replace them both, i do not know if this is the best way to explain it? if not please someone correct me! also if u do the hub bearings order the socket for the hub nuts rather than a chiesel and also order 4 nuts (they are under 2 bucks a piece) and order through either quadratech or 4wheel drive hardware for this stuff it was like 20 bucks the rest of the stuff probbably get through your local parts store because you will get some kind of warrenty with them and not have to payu shipping, unless one manufacture is superior than another!
later
andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ball joints , Jack up front of jeep block axle .Take a pry bar and block of
wood and pry up on front tire on one side at a time. Should show the slop in the ball joint if it is worn. First time might get help one to pry one to watch.??? GO FOR IT CAN BE DONE.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I always use a ball joint remover from Autozone (I borrow one). Looks like a small pitman arm puller, which is simply a pulley puller with only two arms. If you have NO idea what I'm talking about, just use the old pitch fork remover method. But if they have not been off for sometime, you may be there beating for a while!

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Just curious here...since I haven't had the good fortune to have bad ball joints on a 4WD front axle.........are both ball joints considered "loaded"? The last time I did a ball joint was on a 65 Olds .....which I think was a lower loaded ball joint....a fairly scary job given the sping compression and all......had to drill out the riveted ball joint...... I guess I got spoiled by the light "throw away" strut frontends. The job should be simplified by not having to deal with spings.....but somehow I'm sure that some other obstacle presents itself that prevents this from being a "turn your head and cough" job.

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help. I think I am going to attemp this project next week. how long do you guys think it would take to do the ball joints
ujoints and brakes and everything? Remeber I've never done this before, not that that usually stops me
Dan

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I have never done ball joints, so I have no idea. It took me 8 hours to do 2 U-joints on the Scout II axle. The axle had 235,000 miles on it and they were the original ones, 22 years old. Took quite a beating. Brakes were no problem as everything else was taken apart. While you're at it, take a look at the seals next to the carrier, one of mine was split and had to be replaced. It'd be a shame to have to take it apart again. I also removed the dust shield while I was at it, kept getting rocks caught behind the dust shield and wearing a groove into the disc.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wait!!!!!!!! before u attempt the ball joints get the press,, u can rent it for free probably at your local part store when i did mine the took a 100 dollar deposit which was refendable when i brought it back, it works the nuts, and the ball joints will be out, it sound like they have never been replaced so with out the tool you will spend to many hours in one day just getting the ball joints out never mind getting downt to the knuckle, and make sure u have a ball joint pickle (fork) to remove the knuckles from the axle! a tie rod end pickle is smaller!
Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.