Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Well......if that is a CJ, the wire that FEEDS the coil is itself a resistor by virtue of the fact that the length of it and the wire size cut the voltage down by the resistance in the wire. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
593 Posts
I went to my local napa, and they didn't have one for the AMC304, but I got one listed for some Chrysler vehicle and it works fine. As long as it drops the voltage down to ~9V you should be fine. The motor will run with the full 12 volts, but I have been told that you will burn out your coil quickly without the resistor.

'79 CJ-7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I removed my tired 258 motor last weekend I began taking out the wires that I wouldn't need for the 304. Not sure who was the idiot before me but every wire was spliced into another wire, another wire, another wire, and even another wire. Wires were "duct taped". So I want to cut them all out and start over. That is why I need to know what balist resister I need. THanks.

Brian "A4x4jeeper"
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
http://www.jerseywheelers.org/

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
If you install a ballast resistor .....keep in mind that if it fails .....you can have a "starts fine but won't run" situation. That is, it'll run the coil in the start position ......but the thing is "open" to the "on" terminal of the ignition switch. I was driving my father in-laws Aspen and I remembered seein' a ballast resistor sittin' in the glove compartment ....then I experienced the condition that I've just stated........I'm glad I remembered what it was ........ and I'm glad that my father in-law had the sense to carry a spare ..........it's amazing how wise someone gets with age/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.

GeeAea

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Brian....thet thar whar thet feeds th' coyl is sposed' t'be #20AWG so's it has 1.35 OHMs resistance. Jest make sure it's jest th' same an' ye'll be fine boah. Check thet that voltage while it's a-runnin' an SEE if it's 9 volts BEFORE you spend the dough needlessly. Git it? /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
I've always thought the ballast resistor was a Mopar thing and AMC used the wire for proper resistance.

GeeA, had the same thing happen to me with my wife's 77 Aspen w/ 318 V-8. Always carry a spare! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.