Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
The claws seem really good. I never really liked any of the Mickey thompsons, but those seem to be a hit. My feelings are the price tag associated with the claws. It is a shame tires cost so much, and then they get trashed in the woods.
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
MT just came out with the Radial Baja Claw too. These would be better for the street machine wanting to look cool, as they would track and wear better, but I dont know how well those side-walls would do in the trails or on the rocks.... I also saw in a Magazine comparison betweent eh Claw and the Bogger that the 33x13.5x15 Claw's ACTUAL measurements, done with a tape measurer with both tires off the vehichle, mounted and at street pressure, was 30.75" tall and 12.5" wide. The 33x12.5 Bogger was a true 33" tall and 12.5" wide. This means that "33x13.5x15" Claws should fit under a stock Wrangler YJ even, just like my 31x10.5 Duelers do. Of course you'd need new, wider rims with more positive off-set to avoid rubbing the springs like mad.... Does anyone have the true measurements on the 31x13.5x15 Claw and the 35x15.5x15 Claw?

G

·
Don't believe everything you read on tire charts. I've been a tech inspector for numerous mud race sanctioning bodies for several years. Most groups have measured tires at some point in the past (some still do) to determine classification. And after measuring (by passing a c-shaped caliper over the tires horizontally) hundreds of tires every summer since the 80's, I can assure you that even the infamous Interco tire chart is so far off it's a joke. And it's not even consistently off. The listed height for 33X12.50's is right on. The listed height for 38X12.50/15's is off by nearly 2". Even on a 7" rim, a 38X12.50/15 so new it still has the stickers attached, will slide right through a 36" caliper. So, I don't trust the Mickey chart any more than the Interco one.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
True enough, but I don't think it's as much a matter of inconsistent tire sizes, but rather a poor chart. I'd say that of all the tires I've measured over the years in new condition, on the recommended rim width, that the variation from smallest to largest within a given "stamped" size would be less than 1/4". I've got a brand new set of Q78's & two are exactly 35", while the other two are 34 7/8". That's pretty typical variation & only misses the chart by about 1/2" (35.5" advertised height). But, to say a 38X12.50 (which incidentally was once labeled as 13/37 back in the OLD days when it was the TALLEST TSL available) is 37.8" when I've NEVER seen one for a 15" rim that exceeded 36" & never seen one for 16.5's that exceeded 36.5". That's not a manufacturing variance, that's false advertising.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.