Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a problem lets see if anyone can help me. Here it is in a nutshell. I have a 1977 CJ7 with a In line 258 6cyl my problem is this it squeaks like rubber is slipping i have took of both belts alternator and Power sterring pump and it still squeaks I took of harmonic balancer and replaced with another one that looks good, the origianl one i took of the rubber looked cracked and dry rotted so i put the other one on it looked fine no cracks or anything. so i put it on and it still squeaks what is the problem does anyone have any ideas tests or what have you this is driving me crazy! I had the timing chain and water pump and a bunch of the other stuff replaced and the guy that worked on it can not get it to quit squeking what a putz .. o well please help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
come on folks i am dying here i need some info this is driving me crazy i may have to name it squeky if it keeps this up HELP HELP .......
I would help you if you where stuck .......................... PLEASE

·
Registered
873 Posts
My initial guess would be the water pump...but you say that was replaced? If that's not it, check all your pulleys to make sure that they are lined up. If a bracket is bent or something and the pulleys don't line up then it could be a squeaky belt, even if they are all new.
Also, how is your alternator? if they bearing is worn out in it it may squeak.
Just a few suggestions to check.
Good luck.

Dan 84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI. 95 ZJ,V8. http://netnow.micron.net/~wdohrn/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the same problem a few weekends ago on a trail run. It started to happen about one hour into the trail. I thought it was my body mount bushings but the realized it made the noise while I was stopped. It did go away after the engine cooled down. I also have the 258 with new belts, new water pump and new alternator.

Any ideas anyone?

Please keep me posted.

Good luck.

[email protected]

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sounds suspiciously like bad bearings in the water pump or elswhere. You might try removing the belts again and then manually turning the pumps, and alt. pulleys by looping the belt over them and pulling on either side...kinda like starting a fire with a bow. Also check your belt running clearances and pulley to pulley line-up for any chaffing. If nothing else, check in your dash for a firearm of sufficient caliber, shoot the block from front to rear and then use the money you would have spent fixing your jeep on a good horse...they have excellent clearance, 4 hoof drive, and are immune to lift laws.

Nuke the unborn gay whales for Jesus

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Unless I read it wrong, dudes, he said he took off both belts and it still squeaks. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

The only thing I can think of that would still be left on the front of the motor would be that the bolts holding on the pulley on the harmonic balancer could be too long, and they could be rubbing on the timing chain cover (that happened to me once).

Sorry I can't think of anything else.
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok here is the deal no bolts holding on the front pulley i will try that...
also all belts are off the pump is new the altnator is new...
the water pump is also new and you are right no belts at all still squeaks..
Let me ask this there is a type of brass rubber seal that sits in the timing cover housing that is rubber would this cause a squeak... Man it sounds like a flock of blackbirds in that engine compartment still need help
ok the bearing would make a more of grinding noise not squeking am i right ....
how far does that harmonic balancer need to go on and what is the specs for torque on that bolt???

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
>Let me ask this there is a type of brass rubber seal that sits in the timing cover housing that >is rubber would this cause a squeak... Man it sounds like a flock of blackbirds in that >engine compartment still need help

There is a seal around the harmonic balancer. It should be a spring-lip-rubber seal, if I remember correctly. On thing though - I don't think there are any alignment pins in a 258 timing chain cover, so it could be that the cover is not centered well on the harmonic balancer, and the balancer is rubbing the side of the seal really hard. I think the instructions said that you should use a gage of some sort, or an old harmonic balancer shaft with the balancer cut off to check for centering of the cover. Remove the balancer and see if it looks like the seal is concentric (on the same center line) with the crankshaft. This may be hard to do, but if the radiator isn't there, your head should be able to fit right in front of the crank to see this. (This is where you get intimate with your Jeep /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif) If it looks like it is off-center, this could be your problem.

>ok the bearing would make a more of grinding noise not squeking am i right ....
>how far does that harmonic balancer need to go on and what is the specs for torque on >that bolt???

I don't know what the spec is, but you want the balancer to go up against the timing gear on the crank, and there is an oil slinger there too, between the crank timing gear and the harmonic balancer. The one bolt is put on there pretty tight.

Hope you can find it.
Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well come to mention that being that it has a front fiberglass clip and the radiator can come right out and no front grill because it went with the hood i guess she is pretty spread right open to check that and i think if the cover is not on right i haft to take the oil pan back of right??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2 things -

It could be the fan clutch if you have one - spray some wd-40 all over the part where it slips and see if it goes away...

"Nuke the unborn gay whales for Jesus" TOTALLY cracked me up!

Chuck Hadley

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well there is no fan cluthch and the fan is not hooked up so it has to be something in the lower pulley

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
in reply to the smith & wesson i have a New target It is my Jeep Who would like to blow it away because i do not have the heart to.... doe any body begging now have any other ideas i think that if i do not get it fixed i am going to be in the looney bin before i know it....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dunno.. motor mount loose and squeaking? Everything else's been covered already.. it squeaks at rest? Could be any number of loose seals or gaskets or other parts rubbing them. Could be anyone of your pulleys. But it's really loud, right? You should be able to isolate it with a motor stethoscope and take it from there.. Is it a constant squeak, a squeal or is it pulsing?

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
motor mounts new tight to spec checked that..
It does not start to squeak really bad till the engine gets warmed up the is with all belts off no pumps or altnator hooked up...
And it squeals and squeaks horribly...
Man i am loosing my mind or something i am at the point now free motor free motor

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.