Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to fix a few problembs this past week and weekend, but I still have a couple of issues to ask about.

Issue #1 Yes this was veeerrrry stupid on my part but it sounded like one of those...I've done this before and it worked. The story goes like this...I have a leak in my steering box, and this guy tells me that you can put about a quarter of a tube of stop leak in the pump and it will seal it off. It was a minor drip so I thought, that is an easy fix. So needless to say I tried it an have pretty much destroyed all of the seals in my steering box and probably the pump because now it pours. Can I just replace the seals or do I have to purchase a pump and box?

Issue #2
My front tires are at a negative camber? (top of wheel inward) the tire shop says that the adjustment is maxed out. What else will cause this and what do I need to do to fix it? Or is there some sort of aftermarket adjustment nut that will compensate for the lift and tires (6" suspension superlift) I am running 38's and I know that this is a lot of tire on the front TTB, but hopefully it will hold out until I can afford to do a SAS.

Any help here would be appreciated, hopefully I have given you enough info to make an analogy.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Issue #1:
See related post.

Issue #2:
Personally, I like a bit of negative camber.
Certainly makes the rig handle better.
Try doing a search for "camber adjustment" or "front end alignment".
There's several posts on the subject.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Issue 1, WD-40 is the "expert" on that as I recall. Guess that one you will have to chalk up to your turn to receive and implement the bad advice. But I think we have all been there before.

Issue 2, has your 6" lift been on awhile? and the 38's? I'm just thinking your lift is gettin' tired (coils, front shocks). Which would produce negative camber, if anything. As a cheap fix for now if this is the case, can you put in the coil spacers on bottom? I think it is superlift that makes them in .25" increments. 2 per side might be the answer, if you pop those in and did nothing else, it should produce more positive camber. Maybe someone else will chime in on this, would not want you to suffer twice in a row bad advice

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad to hear that I am not the only one on that one!
I knew that it was not the right thing to do when I poured that crap in there and she went into a whining fit! Matter of fact it choked out the engine but when I fired it back up it didn't do it anymore so I thought I had it licked!!!!! about 2 weeks later it really started to flow! I have definately chalked that one up to experience!!!!!!

The lift was on there when I bought it, but I just replaced the front and rear springs about a month ago, but I didn't know about the spacers, that may be something to look into especially since I am running about 3/4 " low in the front. The 38's have been on for about 4 months but I was running 36's before. What would be the maximum # of spacers that you could use and it still be safe? I need to pack the bearings up front ( going to try to find time to do that this weekend) because I noticed some play in the tires when I jacked up the front end this weekend.
On another subject, and while I am thinking about it, I remembered someone had said something about the weak spots on the rear spare carrier, but I can't find where it was posted. I finally have installed my spare tire carrier. Is the weak spot in the hinges or where the latch connects to the gate. I have reinforced the gate with a 1/8" steel plate that is about 8" long and about 4 or 5 " tall. (I had a piece of scrap laying around) Hopefully that will hold! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
723 Posts
i may be wrong but i think it was steve that said that about the weak spot on the tire carrier to me when i put the 33 and jack on it the only thing that i see that is in need of replacing so far is the passenger tailgate latch pin is worn but it has been like that since i bought it (just one of those things i forget to replace )

·
Registered
723 Posts
i may be wrong but i think it was steve that said that about the weak spot on the tire carrier to me when i put the 33 and jack on it the only thing that i see that is in need of replacing so far is the passenger tailgate latch pin is worn but it has been like that since i bought it (just one of those things i forget to replace )

on another subject i think it is juice that had said it where did ya'll run your breather hoses(diff's,xfer case and the like i noticed that mine just go to the bottom of the frame and i went thru some creeks that sre low now but come hunt time 2 are going to rise a few feet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts