Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am back from Attica. I only was able to wheel 1/2 the day because problems at work.

However, we had a pretty good time. Aaron and I did all of the pink trail we could find(not much). Badlands really needs to spend a little time to mark their trails better.

We also climbed about every exit out of the quarry. Thats where I did a little more damage to my tie rod! We ran the orange trail also and it has quite a long rock section now.

CARNAGE 101

We parked for a while and one of my 200 psi hoses blew a hole in it for my new on-board air. I lifted the hood and we were looking at it and my on-board welder set-up when we started to see a little smoke. Then all the sudden the braided flex line exiting the vair compress burst into flames. We tryed the extinguisher, didn't want to work. We poured water on it, that was like spitting on a house fire. Then if finally burned itself mostly out and the extinguisher finished it off.

I can't figure out why it started. The compressor was not running because I had my kill switch in the off position. The 20 Amp fuse did not blow. It was not run anywhere near anything hot. I am puzzled. The only thing I am not sure of is the field wire for my On-Board welder, it could have grounded. But once the fire started it melted all those wires.

The good thing was that we got it out with minimal damage.

One of the coolest thing of the day was watching a flat fender rock crawler crawl some nasty ledges out of the quarry. He is the only person I have seen attempt these areas and he crawled most of them. He had it streched to what looked like about 100 inches and well over a 100:1 crawl ration. It worked really really well!!

I will post pictures later tonight.

Brad

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Back from Attica

Here are some Pics of Attica;

Aaron climbing entrance to side trail on the left right before you enter the quarry.

Playing in the Quarry

Intrance to Pink(Red) Trail

Flat Fender Playing in Quarry

Brad

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Glad you guys had a good time and there wasn't too much carnage.

For everyone coming in to see the pictures, might I suggest one of these. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Computer Monitor Screen Magnifier

Bausch & Lomb MagniViewer:

Get An Image Larger Than The Largest PC Monitor -

Wonderful magnifing solution for Macular Degeneration Disease.

The PC Magni-Viewer is a magnifier that mounts on your computer monitor to ease eye strain, a symptom of Computer Vision Syndrome. By making your screen appear to be larger and farther away from you, the PC Magni-Viewer makes text easier to read and images easier to focus on.

[/ QUOTE ]

·
Registered
546 Posts
Wow Jim, good thing you wussed out to mow your lawn. I drove by on my way home, your lawn still hasn't been mowed...PUSSY!! The whole fire incident was getting kinda scary. Water seemed to do absolutely nothing. After my extinguisher failed I beat it a a rock enough to get it to squirt a little and it was luckily enough to put it out. I'll be getting a new extinguisher, I think Brad will too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I tweeked my front driveshaft some climbing over a big rock and getting high centered, nothing big though. Just had to tap the grease cap on the slip yoke back on. The shaft got shined up but not dented, the added clearance of the HP44 saved me. The old flattie in the quarry was IMPRESSIVE!! Dude was crawling all over the place. Looked to have a 60 in the front and what I think was a huge ass Dana 70 in the rear, maybe a 104"-106" wheelbase and a serious crawl ratio with some 38"ish Maxxis Trepadors. Air shocks in the front with coils in the rear and a driver who had some stones. Anyway, had a great time but I wish the Badlands had a better map and marked their trails more clearly. We were all up for Pink trail and couldn't find any of it other than the entrance and a couple obstacles. Can't wait to do it again!!
Aaron.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Wow Jim, good thing you wussed out to mow your lawn

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, Aaron. Put down the Jergens and shave that palm. It might not be too late to save what's left of your vision. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Did you not notice the two small jungles by the road were gone, and the hill and culvert were finally weeded down below Goliath's knees? It looked even worse in the back yard before we started. Two giant trash cans, a trash bag, and a small pile later we were both more than over yard work for the day. Time to shower and jump in the Jeep for a few hours of pointless meandering.
Mowing was the least of my worries yesterday, especially with the amount of rain we got Friday night.

Now back to the topic at hand, where are your pictures?

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
The only thing I know that can catch those metal braided hoses on fire is electrical short.

I got one against the starter solenoid one time... BAD DEAL!
Couldn't put it out with a 5lb. powder extinguisher, but the garden hose did keep it under control so nothing else caught fire...
It takes several hundred degrees to get it started, but when the liner catches fire, LOOK OUT!

Do you need another hose (we call them 'Whips')?
Or parts for the compressor head?
I have some heads lying around here, but I'll have to actually hunt for a whip, but I know there are some out there in the garage...

You can use the whip from a class 6 big truck from the compressor to the primary tank.
Head temps are so high during continuous use these things melt plastic or rubber lines at the head connection, so the braided whip solves the problem.

You can also use a piece of steel tubing (like large brake line) for about a foot or so, but you will have to keep it supported or vibration will break it off.

Let me know if I can help out!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JYG,

I think the head should be fine. I will also be using some 3/8" SS tubing from the compressor through the firewall then I will adapt it to 3/8" air hose line. That should take care of the heat and I wont have to worry about the rubber tubing in the engine compartment. Then I am going to run all of my positive wires through PVC to make sure I do not have anymore shorting issues.

Brad

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Then I am going to run all of my positive wires through PVC to make sure I do not have anymore shorting issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it a positive shorting against it or did the braid become *the ground*?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I figure it must have been my field wire for my on-board welder shorting against it because there was no power to my compressor. I am positive my toggle switch was in the off position. I also have a 20 amp fuse in series for that circuit(compressor) and it should have blown the fuse.

Brad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts