Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I noticed there was a J truck in a junk yard along my train ride to/home from work/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. I thought that it might be an inexpensive/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif candidate for an axle donor vehicle. So I did a little research and found out that the J trucks, depending on the model&year had front 44, rear 44/60. I also found out that they either came with a Dana 20 transfer case or a Quadratrack.

So here is my question. What years did the different transfer cases come in the trucks, depends on the model, 10,20,30,40? If the one I have located has a Quadratrack, will the rear axle be offset, and if so, by how much. Could the offset be corrected by shortening the axle to fit under my YJ? I am going to try to have a look at it next week and would appreciate any information that could help me identify the axles, transfer cases.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Official Historian
8,275 Posts
the rear diff on the 70's j trucks and wagoneers was offset no matter what transfer case it had. it is offset between center and the quadratrac's offset. this was done for the driveshaft to clear the gas tank. the driveshaft on those vehicles is long enough that the offset doesn't make a difference. i have a dana 44 rear from a 70 wagoneer in my cj with quadratrac. the driveshaft has a little side offset towards the center but it works fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I am not mistaken I believe that the front axles are offset to the passenger side where as your YJ is driver side. I looked into using some J-truck axles under my YJ but all the front axles I found where passenger side offset, so I went with the front of a Wagoneer and the rear of a Scout II.

absolutjeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I have considered that the front pumpkin is on the passenger side. In the future, when I have time I plan to park my jeep, get a rice burner for commuting and do one intense build up, which will include a Dana 300. I want to keep my Jeep as much Jeep as possible.

Thanks again

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Keeping a Jeep a Jeep is good to hear. You can get a D300 case from 4wd Hardware, along with the currie twin-stick shifter. Order everything you need from the one place and the gears as a 4:1 kit from Terra-low :eek:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.