Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a couple of questions:
1. I have a 10 bolt in the rear what would my front axle probably be.
2. I am going to put 35's on the truck and change the gearing to 4.56 is that too much stress for them little axles?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have been running 35's with 3.42's for about a year now and have had no problems whatsoever!

1995 K1500 3"Suspension 3" Body Lifts 35x12.5x15's pro comp MT's on 15x8 5.7L

·
Registered
103 Posts
The 10 bolts put under trucks before the 90's had 28 spline axleshafts. 35's on those axles is kind of push'n it depending on how hard you drive off road. The late 10 bolts do have 30 spline axle shafts, but you may want to tear it down and check it out before buying parts if you're driving a '88-'92 truck. The 10 bolts in these trucks do vary between big and small axle bearings, and 28 to 30 spline axleshafts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am driving an 87'.
I believr I heard that there were 28 spline shafts in there. Do you have any idea what my fron axle would be. Is there such thing as a 10 bolt for the front or would more likely be like a Dana 44 or something.

By the way thanks for all the info.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The front axle will be a 10-bolt also. These have been the standard front axles in both 1/2 and 3/4 ton pickups and Suburbans, and Blazers since the late 70's.

If 35" tires are too much for the axles depends on how you use the truck. For mild fourwheeling and easy street use (aka, no burn-outs, etc...), they should hold up fine.

6.2Blazer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you do have a 10 bolt front .but why go to 4:56 gears you would have plenty of power with 4:10s and more meat on the gears. for hard 4wheelin you should get nongreasable axle joints (much stonger without the hole drilled in them) lockers or new spiders and center pin for the front. for the rear get a locker or ive had good luck with mini spools a little tuff on the street but very strong solid chunk of metal replaces spider gears

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only reason I was going to go to 4.56's is because according to the ratio of tire sizes 4.56 and 35's are as close to stock as your gonna get.
Also will the gearing fix my speedo problems or is there something else that I am required to do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4.56s, 35"s and an electronic OD tranny is a great combo. As far as your speedo goes, get a new VehicleSpeedSensorBuffer. This makes a noticeable difference in behaviour. It solved all my problems like tranny shift points, ABS and speedo which were all adversely affected when I put on bigger tires and did my gear swap.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifSomebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i may be wrong but i didnt think 87s had VSSBs. i know he doesnt have the electronic tranny or ABS. i think there is a gear for the speedo that you can replace with a different size. im sure someone with an 87 would know for sure though

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.