Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The back U-Joint on the rear driveshaft of my friends Wrangler recenetly broke while under considdereable load. The DRIVESHAFT spun around for a while smacking the floor and all that good stuff. Now we can't get the rear DRIVESHAFT out of the transfer-case. It's really good and stuck! Any ideas on how it can be removed?

Thanks in advance.
--Dave

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hello there!!!!!

I was with you when you stated " The back U-Joint on the rear driveshaft of my friends Wrangler recenetly broke while under considdereable load."

But you totally lost me on the other " The axle spun around for a while smacking the floor and all that good stuff."

And I'm still trying to picture this one "Now we can't get the rear axle out of the transfer-case. It's really good and stuck! Any ideas on how it can be removed?"

Maybe you should explain a little more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
You're really going to have to post some pictures. I think words will just confuse us.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When the rear U-Joint between the rear driveshaft and the rear axle broke, the front portion of the driveshaft remained in the transfercase. The Jeep was in 2wd at the time, and the front splined section of the driveshaft is STUCK in the transfer case.

(Holy cow, I see where I went wrong in my post I meant to say "REAR DRIVESHAFT" instead of "REAR AXLE" in the last portion that sounded rather upsurd)Sorry about that!

--Dave

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hit it with a really large hammer. If that doesn't work...heat it up and hit it with a bigger hammer.

·
Registered
630 Posts
the bigger the hammer the better

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
My Jeep tool box consists of...
1. A 'One size fits all' screwdriver, normally used as a chisel or prybar.
2. A piece of hurricane fence post, normally used as a cheater bar on the screwdriver.
3. 186 different hammers. Mostly used for beating on the cheater pipe on the screwdriver.
4. A large cooler full of beer, used when the tow truck is late because he couldn't find his hammers...

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Funny how Beer finds its way into every thing..

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
When the rear U-Joint between the rear driveshaft and the rear axle broke, the front portion of the driveshaft remained in the transfercase. The Jeep was in 2wd at the time, and the front splined section of the driveshaft is STUCK in the transfer case.

(Holy cow, I see where I went wrong in my post I meant to say "REAR DRIVESHAFT" instead of "REAR AXLE" in the last portion that sounded rather upsurd)Sorry about that!

--Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, everyone has had their fun, now why not help a little.

Seems like we all now get the idea (a picture would be great).

So how buggered up is it?

Obvious broken or mangled parts?

[ QUOTE ]
my friends Wrangler

[/ QUOTE ]

That needs some detail... YJ and the slip yoke is jammed a bit deeper than it should be?

Come on back and explain what ya have to work with and I'll bet that GP'n (among others) will give you some better input.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif
Dale

·
Registered
484 Posts
if the driveshaft has just become wedged in the undercarriage somehow, just cut it with a torch and pull the rest out

course he will want a new driveshaft after that......

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I totally understand what your problem is. If you get a hold of a slide hammer, and figure out a way to hook it to the stuck spline section, that may work. If you don't have a slid hammer, or you need a little more pulling power, you could try a trick that works pretty well for me for pulling axle shafts. All you need is some chain, a few bolts, and a big hammer.
Hook the chain to your stuck spline section, you may need to be creative to get a good connection, but make sure it is a good hook up. take the other end of your chain and wrap it around the head of your big hammer, and hook it well. You want some slack, 10" is about right. Start your hammer at your stuck part. Swing it away from your stuck part, when you get to the end of your chain, you will get a large amount of force pulling on your drive shaft. The bigger the hammer, the more the force. The faster you can swing it the more force you will get. This trick works great for pulling stuck D44 shafts, I be it will work for you as well. Just be careful you don't smash you Gas tank with your hammer. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
All you need is some chain, a few bolts, and a big hammer.

[/ QUOTE ]
don't forget duct tape and bubble gum

but really...A Chain Hammer! that's AWESOME!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I love it!!!!!

·
Registered
859 Posts
I was serious about the hammers. If the slip yoke is wedged in the t-case or the splines have been spun he can either beat the hell out of it with a hammer or drop the t-case to get to it but he will still have to beat it out to get the t-case apart.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
ok either you have jambed the yoke on the Tcase shaft or the splines have tried to rotate and Jambed on themselves.

Either case take 2 hammers and place one against the side of the yoke tube and take the other hammer and give the yoke tube a few good solid hit opposite the back up hammer. Not enough force to dent the tube though. Do this a few times and it might loosen the splines if they are jambed on each other. Also this may straighten out the yoke if it has tried to get cross ways on the shaft. It can only move so much laterally on the shaft.

Next thing to try is to hit the back side of the yoke behind the U-joint ears driving it out away from the t case, do this with 2 hammers one on each side as to not wedge the yoke on the shaft.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts