Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked on the 79 J10 axles and they are (1) Front - Dana 44-F1 and Rear - Dana 44s with 3.73 difs. Given what I have read they are also 30 spline shafts. The fronts have disk brakes and the rears have shoes. What seems strange is that the front axle tube is larger than the rear tube by say 3/4 inch Outside Cir. Over all the D44 axles are 8-10 inches wider than the CJ and even with 6" Xenon flares they would stick out about 2" wider on each side. So I will move to cut them down. I would like to find out if a Dana 44 from a Wagoneer is essentially the same as the axles shafts from the J10. If so, I would cut the J10 axles down to match the Wagoneer axles - just in case I broke one, I would have to get another one made and could more easily pick up an already made one. So any have information on specifications for axles (shaft& tube lengths, Differential location relative to drive line for fronts and rear, and shapes of axles shafts) for 1985 CJ7s, 1979 J10s, Wagoneers????????????????
Thanks, WES

Mindbender 85CJ7 I258 /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif 40 head ported polished /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
Jacobs /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif 31" /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif 999 insulated hard top

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
well..yes.. those j-10 axles are pretty wide... i have my rear axle from one of those.. i cut it down 3" to match my front wagoneer d44... essentially the same.. just wider..
wagoneer.. 74-79 front d44 is passenger side drop/open knuckle/6 lug
74-77 had flat top knuckles that you could use to do the high steer setup..
wagoneer 74-79 rear d44... most are offset due to most being quadratrac..
wagoneer 80-86 rear HD20.. heavy duty amc 20 with one piece shafts.. thicker tubes than the cj version, center drop..
86-91 rear d44.. center drop

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, jeepgod. The J10 front axles are d44 with a passenger side drop/open knuckle/6 lug. I have not measured the axle lengths from the driver side to the differential or from the passenger side to the differential, but assume that both of those would need to be cut down. (From what I understand, I would essentially be creating axle shafts that could in the future be considered the same as 74-77 wagoneer d44s???). (The rear axles on the J10 could be cut down to essentially be equivalent to the rears of a 86-91 wagoneer D44???)

I did get much of the steering & tie rods for the front axle with springs, etc. and don't know if they will be helpful or not.

I do remember reading at one point about issues with steering, but the site is gone. 74-77 wagoneers have a high knuckle that helps with setting up the steering. Is that for lifted jeeps or the high steer is needed because of the change in axles. Happen to have a source of more information on this issue?

Suggestions on what else I need to start considering in order to do this swap?

Thanks, Mindbender

Mindbender 85CJ7 I258 /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif 40 head ported polished /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
Jacobs /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif 31" /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif 999 insulated hard top

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got a wide track from a 79 J10 with the drive side diff, a wide track from a 80 Cherokee, and a narrow track from a 78 Waggy.
The wide track axles have slightly larger diameter tubes, they're just under 3 inch. The narrow track is 2.75 inch.
The wide track's are about 4 inches wider then the narrow track. You'll have to cut down the tubes on both sides by 2 inches if you are trying to match the narrow track dimensions.
You might be thinking you can just cut 2 inches off each of the inner shafts and have them resplined. The problem is the stock axles are necked down just after the splines. The narrowest part is 2 inches from the end of the shaft. If you were cutting off 2.5 to 3 inches then that would clear that narrow part, but then you wouldn't have the standard narrow track axle dimensions.
The inner shafts from my narrow track measured approximately 14-5/8 and 33-1/8 inches.
The 79 wide track measured 16-5/8 and 35-1/8 while the 80 wide track measured 17-5/8 and 34-1/8 inches. Hopefully I haven't got these mixed up.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Tube Bender

Yea I made one of these in collage, this might help you a bit?

Rodney C
1985 CJ7,302 V8,T18,D20,D44's,SOA,Shackles Reversed, 35" BFG AT's, Fiberglass Tub & Front End...
1990 Samurai,87 drive line,SOA+2.5" Add-A-Leaf,4.16's,5.12's,33" BFG's,Pony Carb...

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts