Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working on my breaks the other day and noticed how easy it was to remove the axle by pulling it out. I was thinking of pulling them out to take a look at the splines and just clean everything out. I have a Dana 20 in a cj. If I unbolt the backing plate will I hurt anything If I pull the axle out?

I am also going to be replacing the axles with 1pc extremely soon. I have to get bearings pressed on right? What type of place will do this? Thanks.

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 V8/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I DO NOT THINK THEY HAVE TO BE PRESSED ON,I JUST PUT MINE IN THE OVEN OR ON A HOT PLATE AND THEY USUALLY JUST DROP RIGHT ON

IF I BUY ANYMORE TOYS,I'M A DEAD MAN!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
You won't hurt anything but you may break the seals which means you will have to pull the hub off the axel and replace them at a cost of about $40.
If it's not broke don't full with it.
One piece axels are usually sold with the bearing and seals already installed and yes for one piece axels the bearing do have to be pressed on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Due to the setup of the AMC 20 you will have to get them pressed on. If your local parts store does any kind of machine work, they should be able to do it for you.
Does anyone know why the brake backing plate has to be sandwiched between the bearing and the flange? I like the Ford 9" design much better. Remove 4 nuts and the axle can be removed with the brakes still attached to the tube.

Did it go together nice and easy? You did something wrong.Will have to do it again./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
DaveC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.