Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Axle info: Can\'t find

Ok so I'm a brain dead idiot, but I can't find CRAP on the ORC site. I know that SOMEwhere on here is all kinds of info on factory axles such as WMS distances, spring pad distances, etc, etc but I'll be damned if I can find that section.

Can someone please point me to it?

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Re: Axle info: Can\'t find

Gone like the wind!
Last rebop or two took all the good tech info off and I haven't been able to find it either!

It's all fluf now on installing lights and chrome.

·
Registered
946 Posts

Yeah, looks familiar and I like format.

SOme of the ORC stuff works but not like it use to.
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/swb/articles/specgrid.htm

You can click on the link in the grid to take you to the old stuff but the link jeepNGreg is the same.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts

There are many lists out there for Jeep Axle Identification, in many forms. However, from what I've seen, there are no lists that list the Wheel Mounting Surface measurement you're looking for... If anyone finds one, please let me know, it will be time to copy the page to my reference section.

·
Registered
757 Posts

I have a text file list someone made with track widths. Of coarse they are then effected by tires and wheels. I will post it when I get home tonight. I also have a list I started to compile several years ago to try to find some agreement between different peoples measurments. In the end I found that the best you can do with out measureing your self is about plus or minus 1". Part of the problem is it is difficult to measure accuratly. I have measured the same housing on 2 different days and got very different answers depending on how the tape was held. Quick and dirty measurements almost always end up long. Also the same measurement tends to get repeated by people as there own, often perpetuating incorrect information.

As far as the axle info. on the Off-road.com site most of it is correct. However, it leaves much to be desired and often is missleading for example it says that the Dana 60 was only used in Jeeps as a semi-float. Also I have to agree about things being hard to find. The info is there but the early pages have some many things on them it is hard to find where to click. Is there anything you can do about the LEVE? The tech pages used to be aranged like JeepnGreg's link and were much easier to use.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts

IIRC, Terry Howe had been regular contributor with ORC many, many years ago. When He left association with ORC he took a lot of his pages with him. They were moved over to his sites. That's why they look familiar. That had to be somewhere from 1996 to 1998. At this point I doubt ORC will reconfigure the existing web page.

JP has a fairly good guide at:

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/67298_stock_axle_guide/

If it had dimensions it would be a wonderful resource.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

Terry Howe is a regular over on the www.colorado4x4.org site. His info can be found from his profile or postings there (in his sig line)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Greg: That was exactly what I remembered being on ORC, and that's what I was looking for.

John: That pretty much has the same info, just in a different format, but I'll be danged if I can figure out how you navigated to that page. Unless I click on the link you provided, I can't find my own way there. I guess that's one of my biggest beefs with ORC, and maybe it's my own idiocy, but I have a hard time finding ANYthing on this site as far as reference material. It might just be me, but the layout doesn't seem to be in the least bit intuitive.

Leve: One of the measurements listed in the info provided above is spring to spring and wheel to wheel. I am assuming (yeah, I know) that that means WMS to WMS. No other measured reference point would make any sense since they would change depending on rim back spacing on width of tires.

Thanks to all for the responses

Anyone know of the same sort of list for axles in general?

I'm getting ready (FINALLY) to do my motor swap and would like to go ahead and do the axles while I'm at it. I'm hoping to find a front rear combo that is relatively close in width to factory wide tracks. No, I don't want full widths regardless of how much easier/cheaper it is. If I wanted full width I'd have bought a truck to begin with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've got a number of axles on hand right now to play with. I've got two different 9's, one with factory disk brakes, 1 dodge full float d-60, 1 chevy d-44 shell, and 1 dodge d-44 front that I swear looks big enough to be a d-60.

I can't decide what to put in the rear, and I can't figure out what to put up front. Three thoughts are (front to rear) d-44/d-60, d-44/9", or 9"/9". Option 3 is the most work/expense I think, with option 1 and 2 being more or less even in those respects. I'm leaning towards number two because I think the rear nine is on a par strength wise with the d-60, without the clearance issues. Number 3 is my favorite but I don't think I want to deal with converting a rear 9 into a front 9.

Informed opinions appreciated, even if they aren't heeded. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,870 Posts

LEVE, this was the stuff I asked about a while back.
Glad to have an active link for it.

·
Registered
757 Posts

Here is the info I have.

Attached is a list I put together about 4 years ago. It contains widths as reported by members of this board.
When Multiple posts gave values for the same measurement all values were reported, even when the measurement was the same. This was in attempt to find an accepted value.

Measurements in BOLD Have been measured by me (Wilhelm / bandhmo2) and are correct for the axle measured, within 1/4". Other conflicting measurements may also be correct for the axle measured, but I have no knowledge of procedures used.

Below is a list I found somewhere years ago. I Did not create this list so I take no credit, and I do not remember where I got it. Note, these are track widths not Wheel mounting surface (WMS) to WMS.

[ QUOTE ]

Jeep Axle
Tread Widths
compiled by Jefe Reynolds, 12-26- 98
I just spent a few idle hours pulling this list together. It was a real education. [The '70's Cherokees and J-trucks seem to reflect the most fickle engineers working at Jeep.] If you see any flaws, let me know. No, I didn't put the FC's, Postals, and some of the military's on here; and yes, there were 128, CJ-8's in '86. Tread width is a relative thing. Wider wheels, or ones with a different off-set will change the center of tire tread to center of tire tread dimention and not change the axle dimentions. I culled these numbers from several books on the subject, and found numerous mistakes when cross checking. I hope i have assembled a good place for you to start when looking to replace or swap axles on your Jeep. You may have to copy and reformat this list on your particular computer to make it line up.
Happy New Year, and regards, as always, jefe

'41 to 45 Jeep MB: 48.25"
'46 up CJ-2A, CJ-3A : 48.25"
'49-65 Jeep Utility Wagon: 57"
'49 Willys Jeepster 2WD: 57"
'52 up CJ-3B: 48.44"
'52 M-38A: 49.19" (Military width)
'54-71 CJ-5: 48.44" (so called early-
'55-71 CJ-6: 48.44" narrow axle)
'72-75 CJ-6: frnt-51.5" rr-50"
'47-65 Pickup (the classic): frnt-56" rr-63.5"
'63-69 J-200, J-2000: 65.5"
'63-69 J-300, J-3800: 65.75"
'70- 72, Gladiator J-2000: frnt-63.5" rr-63.81"
'70- 72, Gladiator J-4000: frnt-63.8" rr-64.38"
'73 J-2500: frnt-63.5" rr-63.8"
'73 all other J trucks: frnt-63.9" rr-64.4"
'74-75 J-10: frnt-62.9" rr-63.8"
'76-87 J-10: frnt-63.3" rr-63.8"
'74-75 J-20: frnt-62.9" rr-64.4"
'74-75 J-20 with disc brakes: frnt-63.0" rr-64.4"
'76-84 J-20: frnt-64.9" rr-65.9"
'63-72 Wagoneer: 57"
'73 Wagoneer: frnt-57.3" rr-57.5"
'74-75 Wagoneer: frnt-59" rr-57.5"
'74-75 Cherokee (full size): frnt-58.8' rr-57.5"
'76-91 Wagoneer, '80+ Cher: frnt-59.4" rr-57.8"
'76-79 Cherokee (full size): frnt-59.2" rr-57.8"
'76-78 Cherokee S: frnt-59.5" rr-58.5"
'76-80 Cherokee Chief 2 dr.: frnt-65.4" rr-62.3"
'81-83 Cherokee Chief 2 dr.: frnt-65.3" rr-62.3"
'67-71 Jeepster C-101: 50"
'72-73 Commando C-104: frnt-51.5" rr-50"
'72-83 CJ-5,: frnt-51.5" rr-50" (so called-
'76-80 CJ-7: frnt-51.5" rr-50" narrow axle)
'81-86 CJ-7: frnt-55.8" rr-55" (so called-
'81-86 Scrambler, CJ-8: frnt-55.8" rr-55" wide axle )
'84-87, 93 up Cherokee XJ: 58"
'88-92 Cherokee XJ: 57"
'86-92 Comanche,: 57"
'87 up Wrangler, YJ: 58"
'93 up Grand Cherokee, ZJ: 58"

[/ QUOTE ]

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts