Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 85 CJ8 with the standard D30 and AMC20. The front end has a Detroit locker and 35X12.50 tires. It also has new Warn 5 bolt hubs.

My question is:

Are these tires too big and putting to much stress on the axle? I dont do any rock crawling and dont plan to. I basically do mild off-roading and beaches.

Any advice?

Thanks guys

CJ8George
O|||||O
85 CJ8,258,Weber32/36,T176,4" BDS lift,4.10,35"tires,f/r lockers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have heard of plenty of guys running 35"s and the AMC 20. The internals are most likely strong enough for your uses, as long as you don't have a lead foot. The only problem with that axle is that the housing design is poor and tends to bend after usage with larger tires. If you have one piece axles, and you have the housing welded and trussed, I would say you'd be pretty safe. If I were you, I would buy one piece axles, and run 33" tires. That should provide you with enough clearance, while reducing the chance of breakage, lowering you center of gravity, and giving your rig more get-up and go, without a gear change. Just my thoughts.
Russ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about the front axle?
Can I expect any problems?

CJ8George
O|||||O
85 CJ8,258,Weber32/36,T176,4" BDS lift,4.10,35"tires,f/r lockers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dana 30 is a good axle and will handle tires up to 33" well, but 35" with a detroit might be pushin it. I don't have this setup but I am sure that there are guys on this board that do so I can't give first hand experience but I have seen some D30's go through some pretty crazy stuff. Don't get me wrong the axle will be ok, but you start getting into anything hardcore and it will be the weak link, a lot depends on your driving style and vehicle usage. Here is my advice, use the axle and if you are experiencing a lot of breakage then obviously it is time for an upgrade. Just make sure you bring spare parts with you. Personally I would run the Dana 30, but in the back of my head I would keep an eye out for a donor D44.

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My solution to keep the front D30 together is to run stock hubs. If something is going to break, let it be a 5 minute change over hub. I'm running a LockRite and 33s, do most of my wheeling on slickrock at low tire pressures, so the traction is VERY good.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.