Off Roading Forums banner

Axle Dilemma

1164 Views 6 Replies 1 Participant Last post by  **DONOTDELETE**
G
My lovely bride bestowed upon me a 79 CJ7 for Valentine's Day, 1999. I have discovered that the narrow track axles are 2.73's. This CJ has 105,000 miles, the axles are straight, but Minnesota rusty of course. From what I have read, to go lower than 3.54's I will have to change the carriers in the D30 and AMC 20, in addition to new bearings, tie rod ends, u-joints, one-piece axles, lockers, disc brake upgrade, etc. Am I better off having these rebuilt ( I can do the ends, u-joints, and minor repairs but not carrier/r&P's) or should I go shopping at the salvage yard for axles with lower r&p's ( and then rebuild) or Dynatrac? Drivetrain plans are to remain close to stock, except a NP435/300 swap, glass tub/fenders, and 33" tires. If you've been there, done that, I'd appreciate some advice. Local shop says rebuilding stock axle starts at about $1000.00 per axle without lockers or discs, and I have no idea where Dynatrac or competitors start with pricing. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Here is what I did to my 80 CJ5. I found a 76 Scout II rear end, that had 3.54 gears. The 76 Scout II rear end is a Dana 44 axle, and has the same wheel bolt pattern as a CJ, 5 on 5 1/2. I had Dutchman Motorsports of Portland Oregon narrow the Scout II rear end (axles and housing tubes) to match the width of my narrow track AMC 20 width. I disassembled the Scout II rear end, except the ring and pinion gear before I went to Dutchmans, it saved me some money. I even removed the spring perches with a die grinder. I did this conversion a couple years ago, the labor charge from Dutchman was about $200. The Scout II rear end has 11" drum brakes, which I'm using, with the AMC 20 wheel cylinders. My Dana 30 front axle has 3.54 gears.

The 76 Scout II rear end Wheel mount to Wheel mount measurement was 58.25". My AMC 20 narrow track rear end Wheel mount to Wheel mount measurement is about 50.5". The Scout II rear axle housing could be narrowed to AMC 20 wide track measurements, which I think is about 54". The axles of the Scout II could not be narrowed to AMC 20 wide track measurements because of the taper the axles have just behind the axle splines. The axles I have in my narrowed Scout II rear end do not have any taper behind the splines. To make the Scout II axles a narrow track, Dutchman cut the Scout II axles just behind the taper and resplined the axles. I decided to save some money and stick with the narrow track measurements. I would have needed new custom lenght axles to make the Scout II rear end into a CJ wide track rear end.

I have plans to upgrade both front and rear axles with different gears and lockers. I'm wanting to use 5.38 gears in both front and rear axles. The gear makers of America do not make 5.38 gears for the AMC 20. I would have tried a one piece axle upgrade for my AMC 20, if 5.38 gears were available for AMC 20. I'm satisfied with the original equipment Dana 30 front disc brakes of my 80 CJ5, and the addition of the Scout II 11" rear drum brakes.
dave

See less See more
G
Thanks Dave, I have a couple of days off at the end of this week, I'll do some boneyard shopping for Scout equipment.

I do have one other option that could be considered. The Jeep Wagoneer's of 71-72 had Dana 44 rear axles with one piece 30 spline axles and 5 on 5 1/2 wheel bolt pattern. The 71-72 Wagoneer had an offset rear axle and 11 inch brakes. The short side of the 71-72 Wagoneer is about 1/2" longer than my narrowed (to an AMC 20 narrow track) 76 Scout II rear axle. If the long side of a 71-72 Wagoneer was modified to match the short side in lenght, the Wheel mount to Wheel mount measurement would be about 52 inches. Not quite a perfect narrow track measurement, but would work. Most narrow track Dana 30 front axles Wheel mount to Wheel mount measure about 52.5 inches. The modified 71-72 Wagoneer axle would not be wider than a front Dana 30 narrow track.

I would think the cost of modifing just one side of an axle would be very affordable. I was looking for a 71-72 Wagoneer axle when I found the 76 Scout II axle. Not many options for 5 on 5 1/2 wheel bolt patterns in the Dana 44 one piece 30 spline axle. The early Wagoneers, or Scout II are the only ones I know of.

I wish I knew of some junk yard Dana 44's that could be budget built to CJ wide track measurements. I'm all ears if anyone would like to speak up.
dave

See less See more
G
Thanks again, one more option to consider from the salvage yard. In examining other sites I see that a certain year Commando rears will fit too, so I have three options to consider so far. If someone else comes up with something I'll add that to the list as well. I'll post or e-mail you directly with the results/findings.

G
Edward -

You didn't say, but how low of gearing do you want to go? I'm asking because I just recently removed my front Dana 30 and AMC 20 to install full-width International axles. Therefore, I have my 'old' axles that I'd sell real cheap since I have no use for them. Not sure exactly what gearing they have, but do know it is lower than 2.73 (either 3.54 or 4.10--could find out for sure if interested). Just thought I'd add this to your list of possible options if you were interested since the axles should pretty much be a bolt-on application and I'm located in your region. Regards.

1976 CJ-7
258ci, T18, Dana 20
Dana 44 Front & Rear
G
CJSCAN,
I sent you a private message ref. your last post. Thanks.

Dave,
Got your e-mail. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.