Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the pinion seal and axle seals on my AMC 20. I was going to replace the bearings while it is apart, basically freshening up the whole thing. I believe I can accomplish the task and would rather do it myself than pay to have it done.

1. Will any of these replacements affect my backlash or pinion depth? In other words, will I have to redo the correct setings? The manual doesn't say anything about having to reset any of this.

2. What is the best way to separate the axle shaft from the hub? (hyd. press, time, lubrication...right)

New subject..On the front, I am replacing the ball joints.

1. Does anyone sell a split ring socket, for the upper ball joint, other than my friendly local Jeep dealer, or does anyone have a better way to do this?

Thanks - rick

'85 CJ7 Bone Stock, in pieces

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rick,

As far as the ball joints go...I believe you can loosen the nuts, then get two 5lb hammers and whack both sides simultaneously like you're banging cymbols(sp) or clapping your hands. It should just fall out. That's what we did on a friend's D44 anyway.

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/cobra, M.O.R.E. shackles, 1/2" steel bumper, 1" body lift and lots of ideas!

'96 ZJ - 4.0L/42re/np242/optima/cobra and other goodies

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
I know snap-on makes the 4-prong socket for the upper ball joint sleeve because that is what I have. For the rear pinion seal, you will need an inch-pound torque wrench that you can measure with, not one that tells you when you reach a set torque. Just follow the directions in a repair manual about using it.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah I callled the local Jeep dealer and they get their 4-prong off the Snap-on truck. So that's probably a $30 charge for the privelege of buying snap-on, plus the price of the tool. Getting them out is no problem but I need the tool to replace them. I am going to greasable replacements.

thanx - rick

'85 CJ7 Bone Stock, in pieces

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just replaced the outer bearings/seals in a 20.

We pulled the whole shaft/hub/brake plate and went to a shop with a 32 ton press, it didn't even touch it.

Went to another shop that had a 150 ton press, that worked.

Also Moog makes the ball joint spanner too, I got mine at a Carquest (parts store) for $18.

Charly

You say tomato, I say fawk you.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I just freshened up my AMC 20 last month. Actually, I dropped it off at a shop. I purchased the 1 piece axles, and the bearing overhaul kit from 4 Wheel Drive. The shop charged me $420 to replace all the bearings and seals, plus install the kit. They told me that the rear would have to be set up again, so I would say yes to your question.

'84 CJ-7, 4.2, 3.5" Lift, 31's, YJ tub, TR upgrade, Moser 1 piece, LED's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts