Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished putting new wheel bearings in mt 75 cj5 with WARN automatin hubs. I am trying to put the retainer clipon the axel which is the last thing that goes on before the outer locking mechanism. When I took the clip off I noticed the axel seated back a little which makes it hard to put the clip back on. It seem like you need to grab the axel somehow and pull it out to put the clip on. Is that true? I hope this makes scince.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Yep.......that snap ring is the endo control for the axle. You see, because of the steering knuckle and the u-joint not sharing the exact same geometry, they can only tie the axle shaft on one end, and that end is the outer end due to the fact that the fit has to be more precise. In the inside, the splines can "float" in the bore of the differential side gear./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
A Jeep Skunkworks run by Moonguys/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif, buildin' the ultimate SNOJEEP!

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Another option is to remove the knuckle fill plug and use a long screwdriver in there to pry the axle shaft out. (Assuming this is a closed knuckle.) If it is an open knuckle, just put a screwdriver throught the u joint and pry the shaft outward.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts