Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have the resources right now to build an on-board air system, but I was thinking...
If I was to get an air tank and mount it under the tub, which i will need later with the on-board air anyways, what size would I need to have a reasonable amount of air to inflate tires, etc? i was thinking that i would fill the tank with my compressor in the garage before I leave and at least have some air.
I don't know how air volume relates to inflating tires, etc, so could i buy a reasonable sized tank that would do any good without having an onboard air compressor?
Thanks, and feel free to throw in some air volume lessons (how many gallons of air compressed as XX PSI can fill X amount of tires of X size to xx PSI) as well.

Dan 84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI. 95 ZJ,V8. http://netnow.micron.net/~wdohrn/

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
You are going to make your self crazy trying to figure out how much volume at what pressure will fill 20 dozen different size tires on 20 dozen size rims...

The question is what size (gallons volume) air tank is going to do what you want it to do?
I have found that a 3 gallon tank at about 120 psi will fill most any tire enough you can limp out, and to a gas station or home.
(That's after a can or two of fix a flat or plugging or patching the tire.)
--------------------------------

(this if for the benefit of the, "What IF...?" & "It Took Me...." guys. You know how they are...)
If you have broken the bead on your flat, and it is a difficult tire to bead up, it may take a lot more that a three gallon tank. The three gallon tank is a guideline, and won't cover all instances or situations... (done with the disclaimer, on with the topic...)
---------------------------------

Measure how much room you have where you want to install the tank, and take your measurements to a heavy trucking parts supply house.
The tank you are looking for is used on large trucks in several places, and under the trailers for air brake reserve.
They come from 1 gallon, to as much as 70 gallons in common sizes.
The will be of heavy construction, are DOT approved, have mounting brackets attached already, and have heavy threaded gussets already welded in.
I have seen them on sale for as little as $12 for a three gallon tank this year already.
----------------------------------

I use a industrial 12 volt electric air compressor. It will air a 3 gallon tank up to 120 PSI in about three minutes, but there are bigger ones out there. It's a two wire hookup, and it comes with it's own pressure cutoff switch.
The compressor was about $175, but it runs anywhere, and mine have lasted about 8 years with no signs of failing anytime soon.

Only taking three minutes to air up, I leave it off until I need it, and it will refill the tanks as many times as I need them.
I use two tanks, one is removable, so it can be transportable for people I can't get close enough to use the vehicle supply air.

(Look on Cad and Lincoln full size cars with ride control in the bone yard.
The compressors are not nearly as high of volume as mine, but will work for cheap if you are down on your bucks...
A 120 psi hobbs pressure switch will complete the low buck set-up.)

Six gallons volume at 120 PSI will run my impact wrench for about 30 seconds before the pressure drops so far the gun is useless.
It takes less then three minutes for the compressor to catch up again.

Good luck, Aaron.

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Hey rush, what are the spec's on your 12 volt air compressor, name, model, etc...

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I don't know who makes it, I got it form Air Ride Technologies.
They use them for air bag suspensions for hot rods.
Three gallon tank, line, fittings, compressor, switch, air filter, fuses and mounting hardware and one of those coiled air hoses and an air chuck.
Said they were going to make it a Kit...
http://www.ridetech.com

See attached for a picture of the kit...

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.