Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some research about how relays work and asked a friend about how my headlights' wires work/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif. From what he said and my reasearch (very little) I have come up with a diagram of how I might do the wiring for my Aux. Bumper lights, 100W each. I am trying to wire my Auxiliary lights into my brights so they come on when when the brights do/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif. I'm no electrician/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif, so I hope the attached diagram is understandable/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. I just need to know if I have the right idea or wether to give up now before I do my Jeep any harm.

Thanks,

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
engine rebuild w/ MPI and 4.0 head underway

Attachments

·
Registered
789 Posts
Don't think your wiring will work. It will power all the lites. What you need to do is take the input to the driving lite relay from the output of the bright relay. Then run the output of the driving relay to the driving lites. That way the driving lites wont have power untill the brights are on. The relay should have atleast 4 wires. 2(1pos,1neg) for switch or primary power. These should go to the battery and ground. 2(1in,1out) for switched or secondary power. These are the ones that will send power to the lites. The "out" goes to the driving lites and the "in" to the output of the bright relay. The easest place to get this power is at the rear of the headlites. If you can find the output side of the relay that works too. I don't have a scanner or I'd send you a diagram. Good luck.

C-Ya.....................kh

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Junkfood is right, you'll backfeed power to the lights (power twice). Are you looking to switch the lights between the highbeams, off, and independent or highbeams and off? You should be able to tap into the highbeam wire of the headlights and switch for the primary on the relay and then the battery and aux lights for secondary power, but this should be outlined on the relay itself. As a tip, use the same ground wire for both the aux lights, then if one quits, it's probably the bulb and not a bad ground, it might also be a bulb, but these infrequently go. If you can, solder the conections, and at the very least, use a good grade tape or liquid to seal the connections. Up here, many of us use marine wire and terminals, they're designed to take the salt and corrosion at sea, so why not on a Jeep? After all, my Scrambler sees more and deeper water than many of their boats /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. Oh well, I hope this helps.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205/7" Lift/33" Swampers/D44's F&R 4.10's & Lockrights

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just finished hooking up a similar system on my truck, but my wiring was a bit diferent.. i purchased a 300 watt relay and jumpered the bright light switch wire (goes from the turn signal to the light relay) to the switch side of my off road lights relay. The relay I bought had it's own power side from the battery, and two 150 watts each poles to go to the lights the lights grounded at the bumper, or you can run a wire from the relay. the whole thing not counting the lights cost 14.00$ and the only trouble I had was figuring out which wire was the switch wire for the brights.

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
I don't see a problem with the wiring, I think the problem is in the labeling. Relabel "driving relay" as "low
beam relay" and "previous regular headlight" wire as "previous low beem power wire." Label the blue wire
to the headlights as "to low beams".

I'm not sure you are going to find a single relay big enough to handle both the auxilary lights and the high
beams. I'm guessing you would need about a 350 to 400 watt relay wired with 8 awg wire. Break it into
two circuits using two high beam relays right side on one left on the other.

You're going to a lot of trouble here that you don't need to. You could add just the one relay for the aux.
lights and feed it with a toggle switch (prefered) or tap it into the high beam wire if you must.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
The problem is that every time you turn your brights on, the Aux. lights will also come on, EVERY TIME.
With another relay, that you already have, you can use a dash switch to turn the lights off.
(You know, like when you are on the highway, where they are illegal)
See attached.

So many cats, so few recipes...

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the Suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess it is back to the drawing board and the library. I'll get out my Haynes manual and see if I can make sense of the schematic.

Robert87yj/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
engine rebuild w/ MPI and 4.0 head underway

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.