Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AutoZone prices for DuraSpark upgrade, doesn\'t sound right??

I called Autozone to ask for the parts I would need to do the duraspark upgrade on a 258. Told the guy I needed parts for a 82 Ford 300 I-6

Cap and rotor kit $16.50
Cap base $ 5.00
Wires $18.00 (Forgot to ask if these were 8.5)
Coil $12.00 (I asked if this was TFI, it didn't say but he said that was for the module)

These prices seem awfully cheap to me, is there something I'm miss communicating here?

Kevin Low
84 CJ7
SE Michigan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: AutoZone prices for DuraSpark upgrade, doesn\'t sound right??

those prices sound ok for bargain basement parts. i would see if they have a better-best line and compare. you might also try napa as well, they do have a better-best lineup.

dan
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF INVENTION
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifLET IT SNOW/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thats pretty close to what I paid there but mine was for a v-8. The TFI coil was just under 15.00 It sounds like the price for the oil
filled coil they gave you. Make sure you get the better cap with brass contacts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

You might want to check the terminals on that cap, If you go back and look at TeamRush's suggestions you'll see that he recommends only brass/copper terminals. I have found that only some of the better brands on the market still use brass/copper. Plug wires are the next area I would not skimp on. I think the best results from this upgrade are achieved with the best parts.

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I called and asked NAPA for the same parts.

Dist. Cap $22.64 (aluminum terminals, nothing with copper/brass)
Rotor $ 3.61
Dist. Cap base$ 7.25 (everyone I talk to on the phone calls this an adapter, is that correct)
Wires $33.49
Coil $16.49 (again, could not tell me if it was TFI or oil filled, just that it was the only on listed)

Is there a way to visually tell if the coil is TFI or oil filled? Where have you gotten an brass/copper cap?

Kevin Low
84 CJ7
SE Michigan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The TFI coil is easy to spot because it is rectangular. It doesn't look round like the oil filled.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Don't forget, you gotta send TeamRush enough to buy a six pack of GOOD beer for posting all that good info you're using. ;-)

My other car is a BULLDOZER

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Lets start a new post defining "Good Beer". I'm totally satisfied with my TR conversion........but my favorite brand of beer is "sale beer"

·
Registered
7,409 Posts

Did the duraspark in my buddies 79 "7" with a 360 for $48 and change with "(premium)/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif//wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gifAccel wires at Advanced this last weekend.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif oh yea I had to do a little price bitc**n (I mean adjustment).
Actually the kid behind the counter was pretty helpful (for a change at a discount store) after he got done scratching his head and figured out we were modifing something./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

I knew everything when I was 16......How come I'm so stupid now?

·
Registered
6,870 Posts

My favorite beer is FREE BEER!!

I guess you guys WERE listening!!
Holey Moley! You guys are FAST!

You covered about everything. If they were going to charge him $16 at auto jerks, it was probably the premium cap and rotor, and I'll bet it's blue...

The coil has to be ordered separately. The correct year, model is , 84 Ford F-350 truck with EEC.
They aren't going to give you the correct coil the first time anyway...
When you go to pick up your cap base, (or adaptor, whatever keeps the guys at auto jerks happy), make sure it's the one with screws holding it to the distributor.
It should still have clips for the cap...

GOOD JOB FOLKS!
I've been really busy with small claims the past few days, and haven't had much time to play... Glad you guys were here so he didn't have to wait for my big, slow butt to answer...

See ya, Aaron.

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Just to clear it up for me...when I go to get the parts I need:
cap/rotor/wires (8.5mm) for an 82 Ford 300 I-6
The coil for an 84 F350 with EEC
the cap base for a __________?

Just trying to get a definate awnser, i apologize in advance for being a newbie!

86 CJ7 Renegade, 258I6, 31's, 2"lift
98 Acura Integra GSR, 14.9 1/4 mi, modded DSP racer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

The same. When I mentioned Cap-a-Dapt their eyes lit up and new what I wanted.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts

Cap base or Adaptor, as AutoZone calls it, For an 81 or 82 Ford F-150 With 300 CID I-6.
Which ever one has the base with the screws. Ford did it two years only with screws, if the guy at Auto Jerks was correct, and it was a mid year change both years...
I keep asking the parts guys to help with part numbers, but no one has answered...
Everything else if for 84 with EEC.
Does that clear it up?

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

·
Registered
153 Posts

I don't know about you guys but I asked for the TFI coil for the 84 Ford F350 460 with EEC. They ordered it, Motorcraft P/N 447-DG470. Mine was $42.50
/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifOuch. Still, the whole shebang was only $140 with wires, cap, cap base, coil, new plugs and a Motorcraft wire plug for the coil.
This is for the 258, I may have misunderstood the coil part and asked for the TFI for the 460 Ford but I did get a TFI coil--is this going to be a problem TR?
Standard 575 FD151X (Premium grade cap) $28.01
Standard 575 FD118X (Premium grade rotor) $ 4.77
Standard 575 FD155 (Cap Base) $ 6.99 I may have the rotor and
base switched-sorry!!
Motorcraft 447 DG470 TFI coil $42.50

Wire Set BCW 2962 $22.39 These were from CarQuest
the other store was out.
Plugs Autolite 447 985 $11.94
Motorcraft DB169 Wire $16.49 They had to really dig to
find this wire and the P/N
might be "made up"
Total $133.09 tax

Altogether about $140.00 and well worth it even if I got hosed on some of the prices./wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Brit /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif
85 CJ7 /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.