Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey-I need to find where I could get a turbo 400 and whatever transfercase is behind that to bolt to my V8 CJ7. No I didn't fill out my personal stuff because I need some info. Thankyou.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
well, you can get them from some classified ads, some on here, some on ebay, some on other BBS's

it would help US out to know exactly what V8, and what rear axle you have.

because most of the Th400s behind AMC V8s had a Qtrack, and it requires an offset rear axle, is that what you want/have?

there were some with a Dana 20 attatched which can be used with a centered rear axle, but they arent nearly as common.

now, what is it that your looking for?

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...sorry i knew about the turbo 400/quadretrac setup with the offset axle but i need an automatic behind my AMC 360, that would bolt inline to the standard rear AMC20 axle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This doesn't answer your question, but why not make life easy on yourself and just bolt a TF727 with a Dana 300 behind your 360, no adapter needed. The 727 is at least as strong as a Turbo 400, possibly even stronger.

Brad
ORC Land Use Editor

and
http://home.off-road.com/~rockgarden

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
get one from a V8 wagoneer, cherokee J truck or other full sized Jeep from 1980 on, they used a Torqueflight727, with New process transfer cases.

Dana 300 will bolt up in place of a NP transfer case, but you will need some lift for ehdriveshaft to celar the large pan of the 727

its as strong as a th400, and probably more effeceitn, and always been easier for me to find them than the th400+dana20 setup

OzarkJeep

too small to be seen, and too big to control, and treated like a walking bomb...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what transfer case do you have? if you run a d300 then find a fsj with a tf727 auto and 208 t-case. the 208 is a d/side drop butit can be removed and the d300 will bolt right up. i run a chevy vortec 350 with a th400 that used a 208. i removed the 208 and put in my d300 with a 32spline input adapter shaft and it bolted right up. i'm not sure about the fsj 208 adapter but the chevy 208 adapter clocked my d300 up nice and high. now if my atlas would only get here!!!

high5
it's one ton o' fun!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...i still have the 1988 Grand Wagoneer...does that have the right automatic?!..from bellhousing to middle u-joint is 27 5/8" the GW is some where like 45" long...I might as well have a wrangler driveshaft HAHA...I was looking for something a little shorter. Just wondering.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Im not aware of an auto tranny that can bolt behind an AMC engine thats any shorter than a TF

have you tried the search feature?

OzarkJeep

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
most of the 6cyl FSJ got a 904 or 998/999 thast why I said V8 wag above.

Ive heard of 21 spline and 23 spline.
the FSJ tf output and FSJ new process cases are 23 spline, the 21 spline stuff is a YJ variant I think, the Chevy stuff I have no idea about.

OzarkJeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The tech pages say the turbo 400 is 24" long, the turbo 350 is 4" shorter (20") and the tf 727 is 16". One from a wagoneer will mate to the dana 300 with no adaptors or spline differences.

It will never be finished unless it burns up in the woods.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have a 727 inbetween a 258 and a Dana300 in our 80 CJ7. Don't know what it came from but it bolts right up to the engine and transfer case and all the mount holes line up perfectly. It is 23 spline. It measures 23" from the front face of the bellhousing to the rear face of the adapter to the transfer case. About 6" of lift are required for the front driveshaft to clear the bulge on the 727 pan. Don't worry about strength, the 727 was used behind the mighty 426 Hemi and also in motor homes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts