Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my tf 727 is in, but the engine turns over slowly and it is very hard to turn over by hand.. i took it back out of the jeep and made sure the torque converter was all the way in, but it's still the same.. am i missing something?? what else could it be?? i havent started the engine yet

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

G

·
How did you install the torque convert? On the transmission first or on the flywheel? If the torque converter is not properly inserted in the transmission, it acts the way you discribe. A sure way to tell is with the trasmission installed and the bolts removed from the torque converter, you should be able to freely spin the torque converter.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i put it in the tranny, then bolted the flywheel to it.. then i did it again.. the torque converter doesn't spin freely, but it turns.. looks like i might be taking it out AGAIN.. that will be the 3rd time and i still haven't fired up my tj-7

~~Elusive~~

G

·
It should spin very freely...i.e., one good shove and it should spin at least 1/2 revolution..if not, then its not on correctly. The way to be sure is with the tranny out, put the torque converter on the input shaft and see how easy it spins. That is how it should be with it installed. There should also be about 1/16 to 1/4" of space between the torque converter and flywheel with the bolts out. If not...is it possible you have the flywheel on backwards?

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
THe converter wont turn easily by hand once the nozzle is fully engaged in the front pump of the tranny..It wont really free wheel at all once you try and spin it..much like a viscious (sp?) cooling fan/clutch

but it shouldnt be tight enough to drag the engine down, have you tried turning the engine by hand with the tranny off of it? maybe with the plugs out?

there is NOTHING behind the converter on a tf727 EXCEPT a pump, so unless youve put some damn near solid fluid into the tranny the starter motor can easily turn it..
UNLESS you have a lock up converter and its defective.. ( unlikely, but a possiblity)

email me off the bbs if youd like, I've installed, removed, and rebuilt LOTS of tf727s.....

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of pieces right now

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks all... i installed the plate between the tranny and the engine.. and it fixed the problem.. i thought that 1/16" thing was useless.. i guess not.. it still seems to be a bit tight after everything is bolted up, but i think it is acceptable now

~~Elusive~~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.