Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying an 85 CJ7 that has the stock automatic in it, is this trans good for daily driving/occasional offroading, or is a
stick shift the way to go with late model CJ's? The Jeep has the staight six in it, any input would be appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That jeep probably has the Torque Flite transmissions in it and they are a good reliable and strong transmission for all but maybe the most hardcore off roading. If you want an auto it would be a fine choice.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
The three most common Chrysler Torque Flite transmissions are the 727, 904 and 999. Of the three the 727 is the most robust, it's main disadvantage is the lower mechanical first gear ratio (it has a 2.45 where the others have a 2.74)
There are kits available to upgrade this, however. Good Luck! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 924 was used behind the 4 cyl. engine and is not a good choice. The other two however, are excellent. I have been running a 999 for 8 years behind a 304 and have never had any problems. A good transmission cooler and an electric fan for the cooler will extend life of Tran. Use a Trans Temp. gauge and make sure the fluid temp never exceeds 180 degrees and it should last a lifetime.

80 CJ5, 52M38

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally I'm not a fan of automatics, but a number of members in the club I'm in run CJ7's with autos. They work fine and
don't seem to have any reliablity problems. They are easier to drive in stop and go traffic. Simply a matter of personal taste.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've driven CJ7s with six cylinders and automatics since 1979 and have no complaints.

'94 YJ, '85 CJ7 /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You mention kits available for these trannies. I have a 999. I had it in Utah a couple of years ago, but had slippage on some maga-accents and when topping the crest of hill. I think it may have heated up. Well anyway, I am looking to beef it up. Recommendations on what to consider when beefing a 999. Thanks, MNMindbender.

Mindbender
CJ7 258

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
The kits I mentioned were to up grade the mechanical first gear of the TF 727 trans so it would be the same as the other Torque Flites. I don't recall seeing anything about the others (999 & 904). I will check around to see. You can call Chrysler or Jeep directly and ask them, too. Good Luck!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
put in a Trans-Go kit and run an external cooler. if you are going to have it rebuilt; request raybestos clutches and bands. i have found these to hold better and last a lot longer than a lot if the other brands out there. also use a good quality fluid and a deep pan if you can find one. atf does not like water so if you play in the wet stuff a lot make sure you relocate the breather and be prepared to change the fluid often.

dan

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giflet it snow/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a 'data-point' for you... We have a 85 CJ-7 in our family, with the stock 5-speed. If you buy the automatic, and if we are close enough, and if you want to trade, bolt-for-bolt, I'd be willing to give you, complete, with new clutch and a fresh trans rebuild, everything, in exchange for your stock automatic setup. I doubt you will take-me-up on this, so I will say to anyone else who might be disassembling a CJ-7, I would like to buy the complete automatic setup, even in 'core' condition, and including everything for the conversion from a 5-speed.
Bob

bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.