Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just did some work, on my auto tranny, when i got it all back together, it wont go into second gear, when driving,i figure its a band out of adjustment,
does anyone have any ideas, please help thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What auto do you have? What did you do to it? Does it only run in first, or does reverse work too? About a dozen possibilities here. Are the servos working?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
utahjeeper: i changed the seal where the linkage goes into the tranny. while i ws in there, i adjusted the bands, book tells me to adjust one of the bands to 72in lbs, unless using an adapter, then it 36 in lbs. i'm guessing it sould be more than 36 in lbs. reverse works, first works, it wont shift into second.its the 999 transmission.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Since it won't go into second .......it doesn't sound like a band adjustment. If it was a band adjustment .....it would just "runaway" when going into second......but it would still try and engage second. Isn't the 999 a Chrysler 904? If so it doesn't use a vacuum modulator to upshift .....it uses a throttle position valve. If you disturbed it you may be simulating WOT .....and it won't go into second until the governer pressure makes it shift.
Best test ........half you tried to "manually" shift it into second? ......if it goes .....mess with the kickdown rod/throttle position rod.
GeeAea

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The adapter they are talking about is a special tool (usually only seen at dealerships) that is about 12" long and sort of "dog legged". It attaches to the torque wrench and makes it easier to reach up and adjust the front band. If you didn't use one of these you need to set the bands at the secondary torque spec.(72 Inch Lbs.) The rear band is set to 41 Inch Lbs. Make sure you are using Inch Lbs. not Foot Lbs. As for whether the 904 and 999 are the same all I know for sure is that they are very similar but the 999 has a lower GVW rating, which implies to me that there are differences between the two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.