Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I AM LOOKING INTO CONVERTING MY 1978 CHEVY FROM AUTO TO STICK SHIFT, MY FRIENDS DAD HAS A STICK WITH A 205 T-CASE THAT I CAN GET REAL CHEAP. IS THERE ANYWAY TO IDENTIFY WHAT KIND OF TRANS IT IS?? THE KID SAID IT CAME OUT OF A CHEVY. IT HAS BEEN SITTING FOR A WHILE, BUT STILL CAN MOVE THE SHIFTER THROUGHT ALL THE GEARS, AND CAN TURN THE YOKE ON TH T-CASE AND EVERYTHING ALL THE WAY UP THROUGH TURNS. ALSO HOW HARD AND HOW MUCH WOULD IT COST??? I KNOW I WILL NEED A NEW CLUTCH AND WHAT NOT. OH YA THE CROSS MEMBER IS STILL ATTACHED TO THE TRANS. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

MUDD_RAT: 1978 Chevy K-10 with dana 44 front, 12 bolt rear 350/350/203 running 15/39/15 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Ok, the trany is more than likely a SM456(Muncie)Very good bullet proff trany that is capable of 1000HP(I know a couple guys that put 800-1000HP out of there Alky 540+CI engines through the SM456/NP205.

Ok...now as far as what you will need. Sounds like you have the cross member so thats a good start. Yours is going to have to come off and the 456's one is going to be moved forward because the 456 is 12" long where your TH350 is more like 24". You are also going to have to get the belhousing if its not still on the trany. You will also need the pedals and all the linkages. You will also need drive shafts off a manual truck because your rear will be to short and your front will be to long off your Auto truck. Other than that it is alot of work but if you take your time its not all that bad. WOuld be ALOT easier without the body on it!!!!

I am also picking up a SM456/205 and even 2-14Bolt FF's for $500CDN ($300US) and I will be starting the swap next week sometime. Only the body is off my truck already so it will be pretty simple.

Good luck....Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I justcompleted a auto to Manaul tranny swap on my 1978 GMC Jimmy. I thought it was realtivley easy. The two major modifications were to the Brace under the dash the Foot pedals bolt to, and the hole in the floor for the Pedal to clutch linkage Rod. Everything else Bolted up. The Cross member is even in the same location. I had to buy a new Rear driveshaft ($185.00). This weekend I am going to bolt up the Front drive shaft. One suggestion, buy the little plate that bolts to the frame on the driver side for the driver side linkage support. It cost me around $9.00 at the dealer. Let me know if you have any specific questions. It's not that hard. Good Luck..

Lazydog

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the bellhousing is still attached, so all i would realy need is the clutch pedal, linkage and drive shafts correct?? and yes i have the cross member. will the bell housing bolt up to my motor?? i have been told that chevy bell housings are all the same and bolt up to any chevy motor. is this true??

MUDD_RAT: 1978 Chevy K-10 with dana 44 front, 12 bolt rear 350/350/203 running 15/39/15 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may want the Brake pedal as well. The Manaul Brake pedal foot pad is shorter. If you can get the trans tunnel cover get it, it will save you from having to guess where to cut holes. The cross member is the same, and bolts up in the same place. You'll need a new rear driveshaft, but I think The front is the same. I still haven't gotten my front one in yet. Get a new clutch fork if you have the time. P.A.W sells them for $30.00. They are made by lakewood. Let me know if you have any other questions.. Lazydog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.