Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to swap my cooked tf999 auto for a Ford t18 4spd.
Any info on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Profile: '86 CJ7 w/ 258, Dana 300 T.C.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Do a search on this one, it has been covered a lot the last couple of days. also check the Jeep tech page. I can tell you about swapping from a T15 (3 speed) to a Ford T18, but that doesn't help a lot for you.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.
78 J10,360,727,d20,44f,44r,35's,4" lift,etc.
Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!

·
Registered
785 Posts
i did it on an 86 cj-7. replaced 999 with T-176. it wasn't too bad for me since i basically had a parts vehicle to rob parts off of. you will need a pedal assmebly, steering column, floor plate, clutch linkage, and a few more things. ONE IMPORTANT NOTE: i got mine all together and tried to start it. would not crank over. if i jumped the starter solenoid, it would crank and run. Neutral Safety Switch! there is a harness on the firewall that plugs into the harness that goes to the 4wd light switch on x-case and back-up light on transmission. one of these wires needs to be grounded in order to bypass the NSS. it seems like its the black one, but its been 6 months so i had better check! hope this helps! matt

PS: you should be able to sell the brake pedal, steering column, shifter linkage, and trans mount (M shaped piece) for the cost putting a manual trans in.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I see you made it here. Glad to see you on this board hang out here and you will learn so much it isnt funny. We even have are own members page. http://www.shortwheelbase.com/ The neutral safty switch is a easy thing to take care of. It grounds out on the starter selanoid. The easiest thing to do is swap it out for a ford selonoid that doesnt use the extra pin.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going from a automatic, commie, socalististic, I can't do a freek'n thing for myself transmission, to a stick-shift, take charge, I'm the master of this pos, gimme a taller gear and I'll hit it harder type tranny takes some re-programing... are you a rebel ? are you ready ? whoa baby ! U da Man !...we gonna kick some slushpuppy a**...err I need a beer, You take the point, I'm right behind ya !!!!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yeah, I'm with dirtrod....welcome to the dark side. hehe

'86 'glass CJ7, 33x12.5 BFG AT's 258, T5, D44

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx all, great info!!
found a T18 for $250, and most of the other stuff i need looks to be available.
This parts yard has got a bunch of jeeps!
Where is the best place i can sell my old steering column and other stuff that I'll have left over? How 'bout my old tranny?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts