Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking about using warn auto hubs on a welded D30, theoretically they should act like a locker. has anyone used these in extreme conditions? am concerned about durability. they seem strong enough, just thought someone has had some experance with them.

toad
3-72' commando wagons
72' half-cab
01' f-250 4x4, super cab, longbed, V-10
artic cat 300 4x4
01' kawasaki KLX 300R
92' kawasaki X-2

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I am sorta devided on that idea, just because I don't really know how they function. I recall being in my buds ford F-150, stuck as can be in 2 wheel drive, because the hubs would only engage by driving forward 10 feet or so. Same as unlocking them as I recall, but in reverse. Imagine having to back up 10 feet on the trail to disengage your "locker". It is better just to unlock one hub and throw the t-case in 2x4 low as I see it, unless there is some other way that an auto lock hub functions.

John
70 Jeepster with "Hurc package"
225 V-6/SM420/D18, D44's locked 4.88, 8" SOA 36's
48 flattie 225 V-6 HEI/T14/D20, D30/D44 31's.
98 Tacoma EC V6, 2" lift, 33's, and NO swaybar /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
This is how they explained it to me on the old military stuff 20+ years ago. When the wheel encounters 75% slippage(or 3/4 revolution), the hub will engage. I just figured the axle shafts are spinning and if the tires don't keep up (unlocked), the axles overrun them & lock the hubs. But, like you, I don't know what's in the guts of them or how they function internally. I always assumed they were some type of sprag(sp?) clutch.
I'd think they'd operate the same way with a welded diff., but might stay locked up continuously on harder surfaces (roads).
Ditto the "stucks" caused by auto hubs that wouldn't lock! Been there, done that. Only seemed to happen when: it was single digits outside; the middle of a 100' bog; 4:30am & had to be at work @6am; or ANYTIME your showing off for the chicks. Whoops! I realized that they have all happened to me simultaneously!! and on 3 different vehicles! "..thought I was gonna die.." Tell me again why I'm trying to build this Jeepster?

Caver Dave
'68 Jeepster Wagon
225, 3spd, & road salt A/C
Vintage Jeeps(ters) have Character,
new Jeeps just have payments.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
IF (and that's a big word) they worked like they are supposed to - not worn, not dirty, no water, not frozen, proper grease, etc., and they are on the correct sides (yes they are not switchable side for side) - they may sort of help on turns with a welded dif. Never tried it.

They use a Sprag clutch, or one way clutch inside. If the axle turns faster than the hub, the Sprag ramps lock, if the hub turns faster than the axle, they unlock. Basicly it's a one way clutch. It also has a locking or override feature to lock them all the time if desired. They won't engage in Reverse automatically. These are true Automatic hubs.
The way they work is like a badly worn U-joint. There are little rollers between tapered plates or races. When one race goes faster than the other, the rollers just roll. When the other race goes faster, the rollers jam themselves between the races, causing lock-up. The jamming puts tremendous strain on the races, making them susceptable to self destruction with lots of power or shock loads, so they are inherantly weak.

Some folks call the axle disengagement systems like found on later model Cherokees, Toys, Chevys, etc., Automatic Hubs, but they aren't hubs that do it - it's a misnomer. Those you do have to roll it awhile to get the splines to slip together, and you need to roll it more to disengage. Usually vacuum or electric operated.

I've never been an enthusiast of automatic hubs, nor welded diffs either for that matter. Seems like a cheap locker would be close to the same cost as the auto hubs and a few beers.

98% is Understanding it
"Don't Fix Unless Broke"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.