Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this on the rec.autos.jeep+willys newsgroup, but thought I would pick your brains....

Ok hear goes - 1989 yj 2.5 liter has started leaking oil from around the distributor. At first I thought it was leaking from around where the housing mates to the block, but I later discovered that it is leaking from inside the distributor. Somehow oil is making its way up the shaft past a seal and out the bottom of the distributor. Its a fair amount of oil also. So is a seal shot in the distributor? If so is it serviceable (I've heard yes and no)? It was suggested that a bad oil pump could cause this (maybe leaking so bad that it is forcing oil up the shaft past the seal...should I replace that first? Remember that the distributor on these things is on the side of the block and really short, so anything is possible - lol.

thanks

steve

·
Registered
543 Posts
the 2.5 distibutor has a gasket that is replaceable. you have to yank it out. remove the pin and start the dissassembly. TDC on the compression stroke doesn't hurt. a rebuilt unit is only about 80 bucks at discount. heres a pic of the distributor and its parts.

paw print

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, that helps a lot, I wonder if the local parts store is going to have that? From the diagram that looks to be the seal between the inner shaft and the housing or I wonder if its the seal between the housing and the block (if there is such a thing, oh well I needed something else to do this weekend anyway)

steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.