Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well this trip crossed the gila river to the 5 coke ovens built in the 1880's to turn desert mesquite into charcoal for a gold and silver smelter. i would like to invite you fellow jeepers to come see!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
steve

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Very nice! I like the added history of the coke ovens. Here in Colorado, I do basically the same thing. There are so many old mining towns that have nice 4x4 trails to get there. If you get a chance, you should try a trip up to Holy Cross City. The places above tree line can't be reached until mid July. Last week we went to Hackett Gultch, and crossed the Platte. It was about the same size as the Gila, but crossing the Terryall, that got deep real quick! Almost stalled it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah dorfs-
i have done some wheelin in colorado but years ago with my dad. he was born in colo springs. he took me to ouray, teluride, silverton, mosquito pass etc. this was in the 60's when you could still find purple bottles! i plan on wheelin there this summer- yeah all 7 days of it!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
absolutely gorgious country there!

steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey sas did those TJ's have any trouble crossing the verde? I ve got a buddy here in flag that wants to do that run but is afraid he cant cross it

Travis
90 YJ I6 258 4.0 head conversion 4"lift 33's & lots of other goodies

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tdog-
it's not the verde but the gila! doesn't matter though- same difference. actually this water shot was not taken at it's deepest. was about half way up the radiator when i was watching. i didn't take the pic. tail pipe totally under- sounded like a boat. the tj's were un-lifted and had no problem getting across. one guy said he got a little water in cab. i have a 4.5" lift and no water inside. if you are confident that you can make it, go slow to keep down the wake or whatever the term is- swell in the water./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
steve

steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your right man my buddy was telling me that looked kinda like a spot on the verde he knows so thats what I wrote. man i feel like a goof now. oh well:) So you dont think a stock TJ would have any trouble making that run this time of year. I only ask because i havent made that run in about 3 years

Travis

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey tdog,
I'm up here in Flag also. A buddy of mine and myself are going up to Sedona to do that pink jeep run and I was wondering if you or your buddy would want to go? It's gonna be us and our girlfriends and we'll probably camp out there. Supposed to be pretty scenic but not too crazy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pink jeep run?/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
hey if a pink jeep can make it i don't want to go!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
does sound kinda funny though!
i am interested in any cool trails in that area but i thought that area was all closed. i drove that schnebley road from sedona to I-17, sceneic but no 4wd. what can you turn me on to in that area? what is "broken arrow"?
the coke ovens can be done with a stock tj- yes. quick dis-cos and 30" would be nice.
sechrist hall, ruff's liquor, snow bowl- did the NAU scene in 73/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

steve

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm not sure as to what is hardcore out there, the guy and chick I'm going with have done the run before so I'll ask him. The same guy told me the pink jeeps all have spring overs and decent tires with lockers. I don't know for sure cause I've never seen them except in their brochures. My friend runs a small block chevy, I think 33's, and has a granny first. He said he went the easy way and except breaking a shock mount was fine. I'll let you know if there is anything hairy out there after I talk to the guy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ran Broken Arrow last saturday and have been there a half dozen times before. A stock Jeep could make it no problem. There are one or two options you could take to make it more interesting though. For a fun challenge try to run Devils Staircase from the bottom to the top... just makke sure no one is coming down as you are heading up. Just before Devils Staircase is a nice little climb that is optional. You'll see it on your left... just look for the tire marks.

The Pink Jeeps are not SOA as far as I know. They run auto tranny's and real mild tires.... probably 31's and the tread is not even as aggressive as a BFG AT. Quite a few of those Pink Jeeps have Currie rear axles.

Overall, a fun and scenic trail. A good confidence booster if you havent been offroad that much.

Just make sure to be polite as possible and wave to as many of the Pink Jeep drivers as possible.... no need to cause anymore friction between them and those of us who drive our own jeeps up there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For some fun thats alittle different we usually go up to cinder hill ohv area. It is in the sunset crater area. The same place they trained some of the moon landing astronauts. It is really cool we were up there yesterday and lost a muffler and blew out a shock. fun for all:)

Travis

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BMF
shoot man im always willing to go wheel the red rocks. when are you guys looking at going?

Travis

·
Registered
156 Posts
Pretty soon, it just depends on work and finding a new place, one with a garage hopefully. How much notice would ya need? Also depends on if I put in a sm465 tranny in it this month or not. If everything goes right It will be within the next two weeks though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
shoot man im outa Flag for the summer here in a few days. Gotta go back home to the valley. But during the summer im up here at least once a month to wheel. send me an email when ever you guys are looking at going.

Travis

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.