Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been listening attentively, and paying attention to all that has been said about the dual battery systems. I have everything I need except for the constant hold solenoid. NAPA claims that they don't carry them, and have never heard of them. Where does one buy one of these things? If someone knows of a national chain store that carries them and could provide me with a part number, I'd be greatly appreciative. There is some urgency in this request, as the jeep is temporarily without battery power (sans solenoid).

Evolution of tools: stone, hammer, wrench, socket, impact, really big hammer, blue wrench.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Continuous hold solenoid is usually used for large accessory loads like in big (18 wheel) trucks.
I have several that are capable of 130 amps continuous, and up to 300 amps momentary.

Ask for a continuous hold accessory solenoid.

The local Mack Truck parts- supply house is the place I get mine. Around $12 each, but that's a whole sale price.
If you can't find one at NAPA, let me know, and I'll send you one, or find you part numbers....

Later folks,
Aaron.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Just go to the parts store and ask for a starter solenoid for a Ford, 85 bronco or even a Taurus or something. Ford has a remote mounted solenoid on nearly all their vehicles. Johnson outboards also uses these so you can get one from a used motor or marine dealer and you'll have a "marine certified" part, i.e. if you plan on sinking the jeep in mud it may be the way to go to resist rust etc... They should all be certified for 100amp contin at least, with surges of several hundred like rush said.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif The NAPA part number is ECHLIN ST-85.....continuous duty solenoid...$34.95...in stock at Sonora, California....heart of the Mother Lode, loaded with gold but we don't know excatly where to dig./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks fellers. I finally tracked one down. Have the dual battery setup in place...the only change I made was to power everything off of the primary battery, with the exception of the self-start override switch, which is powered off of the auxiliary battery. Here's a question...when I get around to installing that winch and all, will I wire it directly to battery 1? To the starter solenoid post? To the continuous hold solenoid post? I'm thinking that I should wire it to battery #1. If the engine dies and I need to winch myself out of a deep hole, I could drain battery #1 with the winch, then flip the self-starter override switch, and have a full battery #2 to start with... Is this right?

p.s. I thought the jeep started good with a new 1000cca battery, new wires, and a new starter. Flip that override switch to connect both batteries, and stand back...she's a new machine. Whoa!!! To all those who developed this idea, kudos!!!

Evolution of tools: stone, hammer, wrench, socket, impact, really big hammer, blue wrench.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I would be more than happy to take FULL CREDIT for everything, Dean.....but well....there's been some very worthwhile changes made to the system since I first tossed this out on the table. You see, Dean, MY requirement was two fold: (1)while my service rig was parked and I was working, I was using my Auto Crane Model 24C to hoist heavy stuff around.....and (2) we had the old-time GE two-way radios which drew a TON of amperage, even on what we called "standby". That, plus using overhead lights if the job went into extra innings, had every good chance of making it impossible to crank up that Cornbinder to go home. So.....all of our standing load was run from the second battery. If we ran outa juice, we had to crank up the binder, but at least we HAD THAT OPTION. We never touched our cranking battery with all these auxillary loads, thanks to the solenoid and oil pressure switch. Before I set the batteries up like that, we would have to HAND CRANK the welder....because it too was normally started by second battery juice....then use a little battery charger that we carried to charge up the truck battery from the 110V outlet on the welder/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifJust what we wanted to do at the end of a long hard day!/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I heard that CJ DAVE!!!
Nothing like a day in freezing mud with 40 pound boots and 60 pound mud caked coveralls, just in time to find out the old Motorola radio ate the starting battery... With the temperature dropping like a rock, you are completely exhausted and starting to freeze in place, and now you have to try to start the truck off of the welder, or jump from the piece of equipment you were working on...

I finally got enough, went home, took a long hot shower, had a bite to eat, and called the boss and told him to bite my ass...

I won't work anywhere I have to stand in the weather now... and I go to great lengths to never be stranded again.
----------------------------------------

I don't think it matters what battery you use for accessory power, as long as one is kept separated for reserve while the engine is not running...
I've never seen any battery ran down so far from a winch that a quick jump didn't start the thing.
It's just too easy to push the button and turn the key...

It's those, "I can't believe I left the headlights on all week!", kills that don't want to jump, and even that should fire up with a fresh second battery wired into the system...

I do recommend if you run a battery all the way down, (like leaving the headlights on all night) you charge the dead battery with a battery charger instead of just letting the alternator have at it.(or letting the battery have it's way with the alternator is more accurate)
In some situations that won't be possible, but a deeply discharged battery is real hard on an alternator...

Good luck folks...
Aaron.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Couple questions here guys. What is a self start override switch and where can I get one and for how much? And with the oil pressure switch, where would I put my oil pressure sending unit?
Thanx

1987 YJ Laredo
Rylan D.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts