Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you unhappy with your Pro-Comp Lift? Don\'t be, here\'s why.

Okay, so lots of us have Pro-Comp lifts. Mostly because they are the cheapest ones. I have the 2-1/2" kit on my CJ-7, I also have greasable shackles and the crappy ES3000 shocks that come with the Pro-Comp lift. When I first installed everything on my CJ, I was very unhappy with the extremely rough ride. The lift had been installed for more than 6 months and the ride was still very rough. I decided to do everything I have heard here on this board to improve the ride. Here is what I did:
1. Open the spring clamps
2. Sprayed silicone lubricant between leaf springs
3. loosen shackles until the bushing is completely free
4. disconnect sway bar
5. installed Wrangler pitman(not necessary on 4"lift)
6. spend 2 hrs on rough trail beating the crap out of the suspension

Results:
Much improved ride.
Able to keep all 4 wheels on the ground(most of the time).
I actually like the way it drives now and no longer call my suspension Pro-CRAP.

To achieve these results you must do all of the above steps especially number 6.

--Tom

85 CJ7-4.2L,T-176,D300,2.5"lift,32"BFG MT,Durabak,York-Air,HEI

G

·
Re: Are you unhappy with your Pro-Comp Lift? Don\'t be, here\'s why.

whats the easiest way to open those spring clamps? I was wondering if changing those clamps for the open type that thewy sell at national spring or bds suspension would help any. shackles are coming up next I'll have pics soon

·
Registered
4,618 Posts

well i know alot of us are not happy with 4wpw but i had the pro comp 4" lift.. and i loved it..one of the sofest around.. only elusive's lift was softer.. they will all ride rough at first.. but mine was cool within a week or so.. was really happy with it.. had other lifts before and didnt like them. no rancho and no superlift for me..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I used a MAPP gas torch(plumber's torch) to heat them up and then I pried them open with a pry bar and some Channel lock pliers. It took about an hour and I did everything with the springs on the Jeep.

85 CJ7-4.2L,T-176,D300,2.5"lift,32"BFG MT,Durabak,York-Air,HEI

G

·

Be real careful when heating those clamps, you don't want the springs to get too hot because it will make the leafs(leaves, I never know which way to spell it) brittle. Have a friend who warned me about this cause he saw leafs(leaves) break after they had been heated to open up the clamps.

Chris
[email protected]
http://www.extreme-jeepin.com

G

·

I agree that age is the best fix. My rancho 2.5's have been on since 85 and are very flexi, good articulation and ride great. I still mess with shocks alot though as I break a lot of them. KEn

http://members.home.net/nosweat/

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts

as time goes on, my procomp springs are softening up as well. all i did was pryed the spring clamps up just a little so they didn't rub the springs. i put rs9000s on all four corners and spend any weekend i can flexing them all over the trails. they are much better than they were 6 months ago when i put them on.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.