Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to install a new rear end in my 88 YJ. I'll be eliminating the tailcone on my t-case (with a Rubicon Express kit) which means switching my rear driveline to a CV style. Is there anything specific I should ask for when getting the driveshaft built? I've called a few places about such thing and they don't really want to talk to someone who doesn't know every inch of a driveshaft's anatomy. Not only that, but the places that were nice to me varied in price by as much as $200. I find it hard to believe that one shop can build the same driveline as another shop for $200 less. Surely something had to be missing, or they were making it out of recycled pop cans or something, right?
Can anybody recommend a good shop and tell me some specifics on what to have done so I don't slap down $400 for a hunk of crap. I don't care if I have to get it mail order rather than local (Seattle) as long as the staff is helpful and reputable.
Thx fellas.

-Dorian
www.4Low.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Talk to Tom Wood at http://www.4xshaft.com/ Tom has a reputation among 4 wheelers as being one of the best in the driveshaft business. His knowledge on the subject and the quality of his products are top notch. He usually ships within 24 hrs. My CV driveshaft ran about $305 delivered to my door and my extended travel front driveshaft that was $195 delivered. BTW, if you buy one of his driveshafts you also get a neat t-shirt and decals that say, "My Shaft Is A Woody". =8~>

Dean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not all shafts are the same.
1. There are different flange attachments. Some like RE's have a flat flange, where as others (eg your front driveshaft) have a 1310 (uni joint) flange.
2.You'll want a shaft the suits YOUR required length & that varies depending on the lift you have or the height youve lost because of extras.
The advise to call Tom is very sound based on his reputation.

Cheers
Wooders

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.