Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running 33\" tires on AWD Expeditions?

I'm thinking of upsizing tires on my stock suspension AWD 2000 Expedition EB and continuing to use the stock 17" x 8.5" rims. I was considering 33x12.5's or 305/70's. Anyone have experience running this or similar combinations on AWD Expeditions?

Just FYI, this is a factory full time, automatically engaging all wheel drive system that has no 2wd only setting possible. I have not researched how it works, but it automatically senses wheel slipage and sends power to the appropriate wheel. It works flawlessly now, detecting any slippage in the loose stuff and engaging the front wheels before I even feel any slippage anywhere. You have three selections possible on your dash selector switch on these AWD EB's: AWD, 4Hi, and 4Lo. For the most part it drives just like a 2wd on the road, but you can tell in some hard high speed cornering situations all the wheels somtimes are powered.

I don't want to mess up a good thing, but I do want tires a bit bigger than my 265/R70's I'm running now. I sometimes take some pretty steep and hairy dirt mountain roads/trails and bigger/grippier tires would help a good bit. Also FYI, I thankfully do not have the factory automatically load sensing suspension (airbag lifts).

Knowing anyone else's experience with this issue will greatly help me in my decision making.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

-Ridgerunner

· Registered
116 Posts
Re: Anyone running 33\" tires on AWD Expeditions?

33's may be too large for the fender wells. if they do fit then check your fender well clearances. also check steering to see if it goes lock to lock and wont cut themselves on the upper part of the fender well. as for the awd, the computer should act normal and shouldnt give you any problems. keep in mind though that larger tires will give you a higher center of gravity and adversely affect handling. reactions for both you and the computer will be slightly slower. you mentioned high speed cornering, see if the new tires have a larger footprint then the stock ones, usually they do but you never know.

· Registered
1 Posts
The 4AWD system on these trucks senses rear wheel slippage and engages a magnetic clutch to go 4WD. My truck has the same setup. There is a way to mod it so you can have regular 2WD, but I have not tried it.
I run 285/75/16 (approx 33x12x16) with very minimal rubbing, and only on the trail. The fronts used to rub that little lip on the front bumper at full lock, and it was busted anyway, so I took it off. The inner corner of the tire will rub on the frame a little, but not until about 3/4 travel. The wider tires you are considering may rub more than my 285s do. Here are a couple pics. In the last one you can see where the rear tires rub the frame during travel.

· Registered
25 Posts
It is a pretty simple job to cut the wheel wells and fender wells. The Ford Expeditions, Explorer and Escapes all have great patterns to follow on the fender itself. JC Whitney and many other company's make fender extension replacements for the Fords that are pre-made to clip, rivet or bolt right on. they also carry a replacement wheel well as well.

· Registered
1 Posts
the 33s will be just fine, i was running 32s on my expedition stock and i wheeled it hard, just stay in the wells, dont go over 10 wide and you will be fine, i recomend 33/9s they are narrow, but will not give you any problems this is stock on 32 super swampers,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.