Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering swapping to a carburated ford 302/351. I am pretty much commited to running a ford motor because i have a ford NP 435 that i really like, and spent way too much money on. Anyone with experience or advice please inform me
Brandon
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
a friend and i put a 351 into a cj-5 with a ford t-18.
even with a spring-over, he still had to get a custom oil pan(it hit the dana 60 in the front). other than that, it was pretty easy.. a lot of the older jeeps with v-8 used ford ignition anyway, so try to get a wiring harness from one of those and it will look stock.
~~Elusive~~

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the 302 or 351 windsor is perfect for a jeep swap because the Distributor is in the front and you dont have to bash your fire wall to fit it in like a chevy. Yes, you need to buy the bronco pan and oil pick up to clear the front Pumpkin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the 302 and 351 windsor make good wheeling engines. the 351 can be poked and stroled to 412-416 cubes with just a little work. 302s are cheap, plentiful, and have excellent aftermarket support. the 351 is a little more to build, but will provide loads of smooth low end grunt with a few minor mods.

my favorite small block ford is the 351 cleveland. these are not for rockcrawling. they were designed to be a high rpm hp engine. they are by far one of the best for mud though. a good cam, intake, and a small bump in compression and voila, instant mud bogging monster.

dan

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giflet it snow/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm working on a 351 swap into my '76 cj7. I looked all over for an oil pan and finilly found one from Ford SVO. Comes with a new pickup, gasket, and dipsitck. I'll have to shorten the dipstick, for some reason it sticks up about 8" too high. I'm using the factory 3-speed transmission but in hindsight I should have went with the NP435.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. Y'all kinda conferred what i had already found out. Advance Adapters has the oil pan i would need and told me what year bellhousing to look for to be able to keep my factory hydraulic master cylinder.
Did i also hear right that the 302 is about 100 pounds lighter that a chevy 350?
thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.