Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone put a winch inbetween the frame rails instead of on top? I figures it migh help with center of gravity and cooling probs with the radiator. also it would give a cool military feel.
Tas
'89 YJ I6 Flowmaster Euro-taillights.....

G

·
How do you plan to handle the cable in relation to the front cross member? Only thing I can think of would be to remove it and use the winch mount as a cross member.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

G

·
Never done it, but have seen it done once before. There is a picture of it at http://www.huv.com/jon/jeep/jeep-dreams.html. It appears to have a Warn 8274. You could remove the OE cross member plate on top of the frame with one under the frame. When I decide to get a winch I will try to mount it this way.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

G

·
this is commonly done with 8274s on old straight frame jeeps or cruisers. to do this on 76up cjs and yjs would require some serious frame mods. but not impossible.

dan
build 'em don't buy 'em
why is there no mazda thread?
I feel left out.:p

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
I've mentioned my intent to do such a thing on this board a couple of times. I have a CJ so I can set the
back of the winch about 3" in from the the face of the front bumper before I hit the crossmember. Going
any further would mean doing something with the steering box. This will still leave the winch sticking
about 3" out in front of the bumper. I understand the YJ has a crossmember much farther forward
though.

G

·
Putting the winch inside the frame has positives. "military look" or a neat "finished" look and may lower the center of gravity ever so slightly, but IMO the negatives outweigh the positives. If you have to increase the length of the frame, you decrease your approach clearance angle, and the cost of replacing the front cross member would not be small. Reduced air flow to the radiator is probably not a problem. If it is a problem, would only be so at slow off roading speed in very hot weather, again IMO. If over heating in those conditions did develope, the cooling system was probably marginal in the first place. Any vehicle regularly used in extreme heat conditions should probably have an increased cooling system anyway. In other words, if the winch turned out to be the "straw that broke the camels back", the cooling system was probably not adaquate to begin with. Looks neat though.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Here is a jpeg image I had created from an AutoCAD drawing for what I intend to do for my winch mount
on a CJ7. The winch and the surrounding box will stick out a little past the face of the bumper but the
lift rings on either side will make it more aesthetically pleasing. I do need to somehow be able to extend
the clutch lever to do this right.

Attachments

G

·
if you are using a warn mid frame winch(6-9500lb) warn has an extended clutch lever. it is used on the 88-97 chevy c-k hidden mount kit. i am sure if you called warn that it is available seperately.

dan

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giflet it snow/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Fly-N-Hi's partners over at FST do this. I've seen CJ's and YJ's setup by them. They did the yeloow and blue CJ that's owned by the owner of Superlift (Brett Lovett?) which was detailed in a build-up series in one of the 4x mags a few years ago...I should still have these stored in the garage. From what I remember, they removed the front crossmember and welded in a small tube with a tab on it for the body mount under the grill and worked up some kind of bracket for the steering box (it may have been relocated slightly). I'll see if I can locate the build-up article that details this and scan in the pics and post them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.