Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this? It's a '77 CJ-7 w/304V8, TH 400 automatic and Quadratrac transfer case. Are there any unique problems with lifting this setup 2.5 to 3 inches (suspension lift)? Thanks,
rich

fratt

G

·
I didn't do mine myself, but I've a '79 CJ-7 258, TH400 and Quadratrac with a total of 7" Lift (4" suspension w/ 34" Tires). I believe the guy who did the mods, had to change Drive Shaft and Drop Pinion Arm. Also need custom Emergency Break Cable. Good Luck.

Ken

G

·
I have a 76 with about a 4" suspension lift and it works fine. It came with the lift already on it and the stock e-brake. I was just wondering if teh jeep you have has a full roll cage. If so many people move the e-brake to be able to reach it more easliy.

Lee R. Byrd

G

·
No full cage, just the pretend Roll Bar on the rear Fender Wells. Like I said I bought my Jeep already lifted (about 12"), I replaced the 39" MT's with 34" Cooper's and removed the 3" Body Lift to get down to 7" (highest legal in NJ). Currently I have no Ebrake because the cables aren't long enough from the equalizer to the rear wheels. My thought is to change the length of the cable from the pedal to the equalizer and leave the other two cables alone. Open to other ideas. You maybe right about the Drive shaft, I'm new at this.

Ken

G

·
Fratt:
You wont run into any unique problems because of the q-trac. Its pretty much the same as lifting any other CJ. 2 1/2" you can get by with your stock pitman arm, stock brake lines, and without driveshaft mods (they'll be a little short but will work). 4" lift really needs dropped pitman arm, extended brake lines, driveshafts lengthened. Most lifts will come with shims to correct pinion angle.
Shain
77 CJ-7 (formerly q-trac)

· Registered
1,134 Posts
I put a 4" skyjacker on a '76 with the 304,th400,QT and it went a.o.k. Had to extend the brake lines, the kit did come with rear shims, but I did not have to get new lengthed driveshafts, and used the stock pitman arm (but could have used a dropped one).

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

· Official Historian
8,275 Posts
a couple months ago, i too put a 4 inch lift on a quadratrac. i didn't have any problems either. i did use longer braided brake lines in front and rear along with a drop pitman arm. the driver's side e-brake cable was too short though so for now i don't have an e-brake. that's partly due to the axle swap too. i did find that a 4" lift with the narrow track was a little tipsy for me. i could go around a corner at 10 to 15 mph and lift the inside rear tire off the ground. for that reason, i swapped in a wide track dana 30 into the front and a dana 44 rear from a 70 wagoneer. the rear wasn't off-set as far so i lowered the skidplate 2" and the transfer case 1" closer to the skidplate by removing a spacer to relieve driveline angles. it works good for me. for the next set of tires, i'm planning on either useing tj flares and cutting metal or a body lift to make rom for 35's. hopefully i'll be done with school by the time this set wears out too.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.