Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know about fixin\' A/C?

Well the Air conditioning stopped working on my '95. /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif It was working perfectly one day, then the next it just started blowing warm air. It's an electrical problem, the compressor isn't being turned on. Ya know, no power going to the clutch so it doesn't spin. The fan and everything else appear to be functioning normally.

I've checked the fuses and they're ok. I also popped out the dash AC switch-board dealie and hit everything with contact cleaner. Still no work.

Is there some component that might be an easy fix? Something that regularly fails on Chevys? A long time ago I remember something about a thermal-couple. Are those still around and problematic?

Thanks a bunch, Brian.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Re: Anyone know about fixin\' A/C?

This happened to me about a month ago. The black wire that goes to the compressor(?) (Big thing near pass side corner under hood) got disconnected.

90K5

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

Just have to trace the wire to find the bad switch or whatever. It seems the newer the car the more bells n whistles to go wrong. Really hard to find what's bad sometimes. Lots of times I've had to run a new wire to things because trying to find what was wrong was in the "way too hard catagory".

Chevota

G

·

look in your chiltons manual (if you dont have one, get one) and there is a wiring diagram with the a/c stuff on it. i remember when mine first quit working i thought maybe a relay or something was bad cause there are several of them. it has the color of the wires so you just find/trace em

EDIT -- also, check the pressure switch. if it went bad, the compressor wont kick on. this is to protect the compressor by keeping it from coming on when theres no freon or else it would seize up

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks a lot for the tips guys, I appreciate it. I letcha' know what it is when I figure it out. Later, Brian.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for the tip, but it was working perfectly one day, then the next, the flippin' compressor wouldn't run. Hopefully I didn't have a "catastrophic-freon-blowout"! That would suck, especially with the price of the stuff! /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif See Ya', Brian.

·
Registered
290 Posts

Trace the hot side from the compressor back there will be a big fuse in the wire it most likely blew. If my memory is right I think it has three prongs on it. So check to see if the fuse is still good or not.

If it aint broke, keep fixing it till it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts