Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using a Powertrax Lock Right in a CJ7 AMC 20 rear? If so, how do you like it, any problems installing, etc.?

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Personally I have a Lock Rite in the front of my CJ7 and a Detroit Locker in the rear. The reason I went to the extra expense of thr Detroit is the question of durability of a Lock Rite in the rear, after all it uses the stock carrier. I've said this before, even in the front I expect some day for it to go away. As far as experience with one in the rear, several members of my club have them, they are harsher than the Detroit, and yes, they have broken them. Install is a snap, takes an hour or so, but, the install on a full locker like a Detroit isn't all that hard either. Point is, if you have the money and do any hardcore wheeling, the Lock Rite is NOT the way to go in the rear. I know there will be some argument on this, but after all, this is just my opinion.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My experience with a lock rite has been very good. I use one in the rear of an 82 Toyota with 36" tires and a marlin cralwer and it has held up well so far. My brother has an identical truck with 35's and his rear lock rite is also still operating well. These are simply two examples from my own experience. I could or would not afford the added expense of the Detroit, and have been happy with the lock rite. If I install another locker someday, and have a bit more money, I may put in a Detroit.

Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have been running a lock right in a model 20 for a year with 35" tires behind a 304 and it has worked fine. It is also a very easy install in the 20. If you have real low gears you may need to remove the carrier to get the cross shaft out if it wont slide by the ring gear. I did it with stock 3.54 gears and it slid out past the gear and so I never had to remove the carrier from the axle. Good Luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm running a lock-rite in a dana60 in my wrangler with a 30 over 360 with 35" tires, no problems as of yet as far durability but handling is another mater, tends to be a little squirrly when acel or slowing down. If it goes out, in goes a spool! Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.